To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Watercolour of Kensington Vestry Hall by the architect James Broadbridge, 1852
Many people will recognise this building as it stands immediately opposite the High Street Kensington station. It was built originally as Kensington Vestry Hall in 1852 to the designs of James Broadbridge, Surveyor to the Vestry. Ratepayers complained of excessive extravagance, including gilding railings and chandeliers. Despite this a new and even more splendid Town Hall was built in 1880 and the Central Library was moved into the Vestry Hall in 1889.
Location of original: Cpic0091
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries(RBKC Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.