To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Beaufort House, drawn by Kip with the hills of Kensington on the skyline, 1708
This engraving was made for Britannia Illustrata 1708, 200 years after Sir Thomas More resided in Beaufort House. None of the other houses shown would have been built in More's time. Today only Lindsey House in the bottom right corner remain. In the distance Kensington village can be seen and the three great houses on the hills above; Holland House, Campden House and Kensington Palace.
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room C3603
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.