To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Photograph of Earl's Court farm in 1867
Earl's Court farm as it was in the 1860s. This was one of the last areas of southern Kensington to be developed. The farm, under several generations of the Hutchins family, had been a very successful arable farm and market garden. Mr Alloway, a market gardener, took over in 1844 and can be seen here wearing a bowler hat with some of his workers including Mr Goddard and Mr Ives. Today it is the site of Earl's Court station.
Location of original: From Kensington Aq (LHRS)
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.