To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
James Hamilton's Map of Chelsea surveyed in 1664, redrawn in 1717.
In the top corner of Hamilton's map is the only known drawing of Henry VIII's Manor House. All along the riverside the great mansions of courtiers and noblemen can be seen. Chelsea was aptly described as "a village of palaces." Only along Church Lane, now Old Church Street, clustered around the parish church can smaller houses of the villagers be seen. Behind the mansions lay open fields used for market gardening and farming.
Location of original: Local Studies map collection
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.