To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Map of the parish of Kensington, 1879
The parish of Kensington 30 years later showing the transformation from a rural to urban environment. Kensington although officially part of the County of Middlesex in reality was now part of London. Between 1862 and 1878 32,000 houses were built in southern Kensington alone and by the mid 1860s with the arrival of the railway the Borough as a whole accounted for ten per cent of all buildings erected in London.
Location of original: Local Studies map collection
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.