To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Colherne Court East in 1913 - 20th Century
Coleherne Court was built between 1901 and 1904 on the site of Coleherne House and Hereford House. The flats were spacious with five bedrooms. Built in red brick and Portland stone, it was decorated with motifs to soften the vast bulk. Hidden behind iron gates lies a very large private communal garden.
Early residents included Princess Mestchersky, leader of White Russian exiles. As an escapee from the Russian Revolution, she would have been shocked by the meetings of the Worker's Revolutionary Party held in flat 116 in the 1960s.
In May 1913 James Lablanche Stewart was born in flat 60. He was to spend most of his childhood here. We know him better as the actor Stewart Granger. Following a very successful career on the English stage, he moved to America and went on to star in several Hollywood films. In 1946 he changed his name to avoid confusion with the American film star James Stewart.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: LS vf PC/7/1043
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.