To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
St Joseph's Home - 20th Century
St Joseph's Home for the Elderly was established by the Little Sisters of the Poor in the late 1860s. The Sisters came from Brittany, France. Externally it resembled a workhouse infirmary. However, contemporary accounts tell of a more charitable and relaxed regime. The old and ill of both sexes were housed in large airy dormitories with patchwork quilts on the beds.The home was well supported by the local community. The Sisters were a familiar sight in the area until the late 1970s. They regularly collected foodstuffs from the market stalls and local shops. When the home was demolished the old wall was retained but the entrances blocked up.
But how did the Sisters manage to acquire such a large site and what was there before 1867?
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: LS vf Area 10 KS536
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.