To return to the previous page press the 'Back' button in your browser.
Bell and Horns in 1830s - 19th Century
Looking carefully at this rural scene the same junction can be seen. Instead of roads and buildings, country lanes and fields dominate lined with wooden fences. This watercolour was painted in the 1830s. The Bell and Horns inn, hiding behind the trees, was reconstructed in 1824. At the side of the pub the entrance to the tea gardens can be seen. Records show that there was an old coaching inn called The Bell on this site from 1720s.
The fields surrounding the inn belonged to John Harrison. He owned a large a nursery garden which covered most of the area around South Kensington Station. He stocked fruit trees, plant seeds and greenhouse plants.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: SB02 RP/2536
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.