Portobello Farmhouse as it looked in July 1864 shortly before it was swept away. The farm dates from 1740 and covered 170 acres, mainly cornfields and meadows. Portobello Lane was described by a local in 1882 as one of the pleasantest rural walks in London.
The farm was named in honour of Admiral Vernon's capture of Porto Bello in Gulf of Mexico in 1739. He took the town from the Spanish. Today a large Spanish community live in the area. One of the farm's fields is the site of a Spanish school The lane that ran from Notting Hill Gate to the farm was of course called Portobello Lane, now Portobello Road.
In the background of the painting two buildings can be seen. St Peter's Church and the Water Tower on Campden Hill. The rest of the area is rural countryside in complete contrast to view today.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: B08 Print Rack Cpic0481
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.