Today Empire House dominates the junction of Brompton Road and Thurloe Place. It was built for the Continental Tyre Company between 1910 and 1916. The plot was an awkward triangular shape and higher on one side. Designed by Paul Hoffmann who used a mix of styles. The picture completed with columns and a dome at the buildings apex. It is certainly a building that stands out.
The Rembrandt Hotel occupies the frontage on Thurloe Place. Luxury shops can be found on the ground floor with offices above. The top floors have been converted into flats.
A careful look at the circular decorative motifs gives a clue about the previous owners.
Copyright: J R Rogers
Location of original: VM CD
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.