Cremorne House was the residence of the Countess of Huntington, a pious Methodist. It was bought by Thomas Dawson, who was created Viscount Cremorne in 1785. His wife was a great grand-daughter of William Penn and named Philadelphia. Together they improved the house and grounds.
The next resident was an extraordinary character, Charles de Berenger. He established a National Sporting Club in the grounds for "the cultivation of skilful and manly exercise". These included sailing, bathing, archery and fencing. Later they were supplemented by fireworks and circus performances. As we have seen the next owner developed the entertainments even further.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room A214
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.