Gough House was built in 1707 for the 3rd Earl of Carberry, Governor of Jamaica. The Gough family took up residence in 1713. It occupied all the land from Royal Hospital Road to the river. Today this is the east side of Tite Street.
Like so many large mansions in west London, it was converted into a school. In 1790 the widow of the then owner, Mrs Pemberton, opened a girl's school. Later Dr Watson ran a boy's school here. The Metropolitan Board of Works then acquired the house and grounds for the Embankment scheme. As we have seen the house survived as part of the children's hospital. Studio houses were built over the grounds near the river.
Copyright: the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Libraries (RBKC Libraries)
Location of original: Chelsea Print Room A238
Every effort has been made to seek permission to reproduce those images whose copyright does not reside with The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and we are grateful to the individuals and institutions who have assisted in this task. Any omissions are entirely unintentional, and the details should be addressed to Virtual Museum Team, The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.