If you have large items
for disposal you can book
a 'too big for the bin' bulky waste collection.
Reusable items in good or repairable condition can be donated to
the London Re-use Network:
Donate unwanted furniture and household items for re-use
London Re-use Network collects and sells
unwanted household items, giving them new homes in the capital.
Your unwanted items will be collected from your home, and
delivered either to the workshop for repair, or to a storage depot
There will be a fee for the service, but it will be no more than
booking a bulky waste collection from the Council.
The workshop will accept the following items in good condition
or in a repairable state:
- home furniture (such as beds, sofas, tables, chairs, cupboards
- large appliances (such as fridges, washing machines, tumble
driers and cookers)
- small electrical items (pretty much anything with a plug)
- textiles (such as curtains, carpet, fabric, bed linen and
- children's equipment (such as prams, buggies, cots
- garden tools and equipment (such as lawn mowers, forks and
Visit www.londonreuse.org for more
You can also drop off your items at the
Smugglers Way Reuse and Recycling Centre, where Rework is
The workshop cannot accept the following:
- doors, windows and window frames
- garage doors and car parts
- oversized furniture and items which are too heavy for 2 people
- bespoke fitted wardrobes that require dismantling
- bathroom suites (toilet, sink, bath, shower cubicle and
- kitchen cabinets
- boilers, radiators, water tanks and storage heaters
- carpets (off cuts and underlay)
- chemicals, toxic waste, oils and asbestos
- gas cylinders
- greenhouses, sheds, garden swings and wheelbarrows
- large CRT TVs and monitors (e.g.not flatscreen
'Too Big for the Bin' collection service
If your item is unsuitable for reuse the Coucil will collect up
to ten bulky items for £28.05, payable upon
booking the collection (the service is free of charge if you are
receiving housing and/or council tax benefit - we will need
your NI number when booking). We will collect most furniture and
household items, such as TVs, stereos, washing machines, sofas,
tables, chairs, mattresses, cabinets etc.
We will NOT collect: garden waste, car parts, hazardous waste, or
builder’s waste (any waste generated as a result of works
undertaken by a tradesman).
We can only collect from residential properties in the Royal
Borough; commercial customers (including property managing agents,
commercial and private landlords) should use commercial waste
Collections are carried out between 7am-3pm Monday to Saturday.
If you need to provide access to the property or the items, you can
request a 7am-12pm collection (this is subject to availability and
can not be guaranteed).
Once you have booked your collection
Leave your items at ground or basement level. They must not
be placed on the pavement, and must be kept within the
confines of the property. Bundle your item(s); for example if you
dismantle your wardrobe and bundle into one lot, this bundle will
count as one item. Keep mattresses and carpets dry as they
become very heavy when wet.
If you are elderly, disabled or there are other special
circumstances which prevent you from moving the items yourself to
the collection point please contact email@example.com,
phone 020 7361 3001 before proceeding.
If the item is extremely heavy or bulky, please request
a three man crew. This service is only available on the last
Wednesday of the month. Examples of very heavy or bulky items
include American fridge/freezers, sofa-beds or pianos. If you
dismantle a sofa bed and remove the metal action, this will count
as two items, and a three man crew will not be required.
If you wish to cancel an appointment
you must let us know by 12 noon the last working day before the
collection is due to take place. If you do not let us know in time
and payment has already been received no refund can
Freecycle is a service that advertises used items
online. Visit the Freecycle website for further