Who qualifies for a resident parking permit

To qualify for a permit your main, permanent home must be in the Royal Borough, you must be the main user and keeper of the vehicle and be able to drive it legally in the UK.

If you divide your time between several properties, your main home for Council Tax purposes must be in the Royal Borough and you should intend to live in the borough for at least 26 consecutive weeks, during which time there should be nowhere else you live or sleep more regularly.

If you do not meet these criteria, you do not qualify for a permit, irrespective of your interest in the property or the vehicle. You may not apply for a permit for someone else or for someone else’s vehicle.

You will need to provide proof of residency and that you are the keeper of the vehicle. You will also need a driving licence that is valid in the UK when applying for a permit.

All permits have the registration number of the vehicle printed on them so they are not transferable.

You cannot have more than one car permit, or more than one motorcycle permit, for this or any other local authority which bases eligibility for a permit on residency. However, you can hold both a car permit and a motorcycle permit at the same time.

A number of properties in the Borough are classed as 'Permit free' this means they do not qualify for residents' parking permits. Please check with us if you are in any doubt if the property you are living in or are thinking of moving into is permit free.