Oratory, Brompton Road, Kensington was built in 1882.
The Renaissance style buildings comprise a large Italian church,
designed by Herbert Gribble, the house of the Oratorians, and St
Wilfred's Hall. Cardinal Newman's monument, detailed in the Italian
Style, stands a little west of the Oratory.
Inside, the church is spacious and richly appointed. The general
design follows that of the Gesu Church in Rome with a nave and side
chapels instead of aisles. Mazzuoli's gigantic 17th century marble
statues of the Apostles were originally in Sienna Cathedral. One of
the altars came from the Dominican Church in Brescia, another from
St Servatius at Maastricht, and yet another from the original
London Oratory. The High Altar has paintings of the life of St
Chelsea Old Church (All Saints)
Church (All Saints) A Norman church probably stood on
this site in 1157, but in 1290 it was named All Saints' Church. In
1834 the new parish church of St Luke was completed in Sydney
Street and the old church became the parish chapel.
Chelsea Old Church was very severely damaged by bombing in 1941
but the More Chapel, a memorial to Sir Thomas More who lived
nearby, escaped destruction. In 1951 it became the church of the
new All Saints' parish and restoration work and rebuilding took
place on the old foundations started in 1953. It was completed in
1958 when the whole church was reconsecrated.
The pulpit, altar and altar rails date from the 17th century,
although a new stem and staircase were added to the pulpit when it
was adapted from its original three-decker form in 1908. The font
dates from 1673, and its cover is a reproduction of the one
destroyed in the bombing. The public garden adjacent to the Old
Church - Margaret Roper's Garden- commemorates Sir Thomas More's
Holy Trinity Brompton
Brompton, was built 1826-29 to designs by T L
Donaldson with later extensions. The style is the plainest
'Gothic'. The church was partly paid for by a grant from the
Commissioners for Building New Churches. The setting of the church,
approached by an avenue of trees, is surprisingly secluded
considering its position just off the busy Brompton Road.
Holy Trinity, Sloane Street, built 1888-90 to a design by John
Dondo Sedding. It is widely regarded as one of the best examples of
Arts and Crafts Movement architecture, and described by Sir John
Betjeman as a 'Cathedral of the Arts and Crafts'.
Barnabas parish church in Addison Road is one of
Kensington's oldest church buildings. Built in 1828 to designs by
Vulliamy, this stock brick building has four corner turrets and
Perpendicular tracery. It has a flat ceiling, but there is a
remarkable chancel, with two open perpendicular tracery bays. The
galleries on three sides are supported on iron columns.
St Columba's Church
Church, Pont Street, Chelsea, is one of the newest
churches in the Borough. It was designed by Sir Edward Maufe to
replace an earlier church destroyed during the war and was
completed in 1955.
St Mary Abbots Church
Abbots Church was the ancient parish church of
Kensington and until the early 19th century, the only one. The name
was derived from the connection with the Abbey of Abingdon to
which, at the beginning of the 12th century, Godfrey de Vere
bequested the church and surrounding land. This land, the central
part of modern Kensington, became a separate manor of Abbots
Little is known of the medieval building which survived until the
end of the 17th century. The present church, which is on the site
of the earlier buildings, was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott
and was consecrated in 1872. Seven years later the 254 foot spire,
the highest in London, was added. Some interesting 18th-century
monuments and the pulpit which dates from 1697 have been retained
from the old church.