Crimes committed against someone, whether a child or adult, because of their disability, gender-identity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation are hate crimes and should be reported to the police.
Hate crimes can include:
- threatening behaviour
- damage to property
- inciting others to commit hate crimes
If the crime is not an emergency, call 101 or contact your local police. You can also do so by using a free app called ‘Self Evident’, available on the Apple App Store or the Android Google Play Store. The free app makes it easy for you to:
- file a crime report with the police from your smartphone
- send the police photo and video evidence
- record a reliable statement
- keep a secure record of your report and evidence
- validate the evidence you have captured
Watch this short Metropolitan Police video on YouTube showing how easy it is to use the app.