The Royal Borough has been described as a Victorian Citadel.
There is no doubt that it has outstanding examples from that
There are fine examples of Georgian architecture such as
Kensington Square and there are magnificent modern buildings like
the Michelin Building on Fulham Road.
There are also some controversial buildings like Trellick Tower
which dominates the North Kensington skyline.
Some interesting places to see include:
Crosby Hall, Cheyne Walk, Chelsea originally stood in
Bishopsgate, where it was the Great Hall of the 15th century Crosby
Shakespeare was familiar with this former city mansion, and
wrote it into 'Richard III' as the scene of Gloucester's plotting.
The building was occupied by Richard while he was Duke of
Gloucester. Later it was owned by Sir Thomas More.
The Hall was moved stone by stone from Bishopsgate to Chelsea in
1910 in order to rescue it from proposed demolition. It was then
incorporated into the buildings of the British Federation of
University Women and used as a dining hall. It is now a private
The Electric Cinema in Portobello Road opened in 1910 and is now
London's oldest and one of its finest purpose-built cinemas.
A Grade II listed building, it recently underwent restoration
and now looks much as it did when first opened.
The foyer retains its tiny gilt-domed box office and mosaic
floor which leads to a baroque panelled auditorium with fine
plasterwork. The cinema now has new comfortable seating and the
latest 35mm projector.
Holland House, built in 1605 for Sir Walter Cope and originally
known as Cope Castle, was one of the first great houses built in
Kensington. The 500 acre estate stretched from Holland Park Avenue
to the current site of Earls Court tube station. His son-in-law,
Henry Rich, the first Earl of Holland eventually inherited the
The Earl was beheaded for his Royalist activities during the
Civil War and the house was then used as an army headquarters and
regularly visited by Oliver Cromwell. After the war it was owned by
various members of the family, renamed Holland House and passed to
the Edwardes family in 1721. In 1874 the estate was transferred to
the Earl of Ilchester.
Under the 3rd Lord Holland the house became noted as a
glittering social, literary and political centre with many
celebrated visitors such as Byron, Macaulay, Disraeli, Dickens and
Sir Walter Scott. Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother and King George
V1 attended the last great ball held at the house a few weeks
before the outbreak of the Second World War.
In September 1940 the building was badly hit during a ten hour
bombing raid and largely destroyed. Today the remains form a
backdrop for the open air Holland Park Theatre which offers an
annual summer programme of opera and dance.