Once a Liability Order is made, we can choose any of the following methods to recover the money owed:
- applying to make you bankrupt;
- ordering your employer to make deductions from your wages;
- sending Enforcement Agents (previously known as bailiffs) which will incur further costs payable by you;
- asking the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to make deductions from your Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit or Pension Credit;
- putting a charging order on your property – meaning we could force you to sell your property to pay for your arrears;
- applying for you to be sent to prison.
The Liability Order allows us to do any of these, but only one at a time.
Please note: we assess each case on its individual merits and will apply any action most suitable to circumstances