Recovery action

Once a Liability Order is made, we can choose any of the following methods to recover the money owed: 

  • applying to make you bankrupt; 
  • ordering your employer to make deductions from your wages;
  • sending Enforcement Agents (previously known as bailiffs) which will incur further costs payable by you;
  • asking the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to make deductions from your Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit or Pension Credit;
  • putting a charging order on your property – meaning we could force you to sell your property to pay for your arrears;
  • applying for you to be sent to prison.

The Liability Order allows us to do any of these, but only one at a time.

Please note: we assess each case on its individual merits and will apply any action most suitable to circumstances