If you are planning a marriage in a religious building you should first seek their permission directly before you can make any other arrangements.

If you are getting marriage in a Church of England or Church in Wales church, they will advise you on how to have your banns read (if you aren’t subject to immigration control). If you are subject to immigration control, or you are getting married in any other church or religious building you will need to give notice of intention to marry at the register office of the district where you live at the latest one month before the ceremony date.

In order to be married in any religious building, you will need to provide evidence that it is: 

  • in the district where at least one of you resides, or
  • the usual place of worship of at least one of the parties to be married, or
  • your nearest place of worship for your religion.

Most religious buildings licensed for marriages have an authorised person to register the marriage, so a registrar from the Kensington and Chelsea Register Office does not need to attend.  A minority however do not, so if you are getting married in a religious building in Kensington and Chelsea, check with them if they have an authorised person. If they don’t, please contact the Kensington and Chelsea Register Office to book a registrar to attend on the day to register your marriage.

Some of the religious buildings within the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea are licensed for worship but not for marriages. Please check with them directly when arranging your marriage ceremony that they are licensed for marriages as well as for worship.

If you represent a religious building and would like to: licence it for worship; license it for opposite and / or same sex marriages, or civil partnerships; or simply update us with any changes to your current licence or list of authorised persons, please contact us directly at