Skip to main content

Educational Psychology (EP) referrals


What is an Educational Psychologist (EP)?

Educational and Child Psychologists have expertise in education, learning, child development and the application of psychology to improve the learning and well-being/mental health of children and young people up to the age of 25 years.

They apply the highest-quality psychology to make a positive difference to children and young people’s lives. Using a wide range of skills, expertise and specialist knowledge they support schools to ensure that children facing difficulties can learn and develop, helping to improve their educational outcomes.

Where do Educational Psychologists work?

Every state-maintained nursery, and primary and secondary schools has a named link Bi-borough Educational Psychologist (EP).

The Educational Psychology Consultation Service has strong and positive relationships with schools and with other council and partner agencies, children’s and adults' social care and health. The advice and support the service is able to offer is therefore very well integrated into the broader systems of support for vulnerable children and young people and those with SEN and their families.

How do Educational Psychologists work?

The Educational Psychology Service is a traded service. They are commissioned by SEN or settings directly. If the nursery commissions a service from the EP team then the Senco discusses referrals with their link EP directly and if they are appropriate referrals they would then complete a request for involvement form with the parent.

Time is usually paid for by the educational setting, who buy in visits from the service every year. Educational psychologists work with teachers and parents, and children & young people themselves, where there are concerns about learning, progress and/or wellbeing. Together, they use consultation to find ways of making changes that mean things work better.

Sometimes educational psychologists also work with a school to think about their environment and provision. This might involve staff training.

A school will always ask your permission before involved an educational psychologist. When an educational psychologist has been involved, they will typically observe children in their normal learning environment and sometimes meet with children. This might be to gain their views; it might also be to carry out an assessment that helps everyone reach a better understanding of what might help them to learn.

Not all children with SEND will need EP involvement. Most schools will be able to support children using their existing skills, expertise and resources. 

Educational psychologists also have a statutory role. All children who have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or where a request is made and agreed, will be known to an educational psychologist. A statutory assessment will involve the same things as above but is funded by the local authority not the school.

VIG – sometimes educational psychologists might be involved with children and families through specific interventions such as Video Interaction Guidance.

How do refer a child for an Educational Psychologist assessment?

Please do contact:

Loraine Hancock
Educational and Child Psychologist (designated Early Years specialist) 
Westminster and Kensington & Chelsea Educational Psychology Consultation Service

Mobile: 07890380484 | Email:

(Video Interaction Guidance (VIG) Accredited Practioner)

Available Monday to Thursday.



Last Updated 02/09/2020

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

rating button