Skip to main content

Educating your child at home

Parents/carers are legally required to ensure their child is in receipt of a suitable education but this does not have to be in a school. Some will choose to electively home educate.

Elective home education is the term used to describe a parent or carer's decision to provide education for their children at home. This is different to home tuition provided by the local authority or education provided by the local authority other than at school.


How do I arrange to home educate my child?

Parents have the right to educate a child who has SEND at home so long as the education provided is suitable to the child's age, ability, aptitude and SEND. This applies equally if the child has SEN Support or an Education Health Care (EHC) Plan. Where a child has an EHC Plan and is electively home educated, it remains the local authority's duty to ensure that the child/young person's needs are met.

If you wish your child to be home educated, please write to your child's head teacher with notice that you intend to de-register them from the school and provide education at home.

For more guidance on whether this decision is right for you can read more information, guidance for parents and the local authority's elective home education policy by clicking this link. 


Information for home educating parents/carers

The Bi-borough Elective Home Education Service has produced the following information and guidance booklet on the serivces and support available to parents/carers who elect to home educate their child: 

Click here to download the Home Educators Information Guide

Last Updated 09/02/2022

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.

rating button