Universal Credit

Universal Credit is the new welfare benefit for working age people.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people in or out of work. It combines the following benefits into one payment:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax credit
  • Working Tax credit
  • Housing Benefit

Who can apply

If you need to apply for any of the six benefits listed above, you’ll need apply for Universal Credit by visiting the GOV.UK website.

There are exceptions to this. If:

  • you're pension age
  • you're living in temporary or sheltered or supported accommodation

If you're in one of the above categories, you'll be able to apply for Housing Benefit from Kensington and Chelsea in the usual way.

If you're already on one of the benefits listed above, you will not need to do anything for now. Your benefit will continue until either:

  • a change takes place which means your benefit is cancelled. You'll then need to apply for Universal Credit if you need help again in the future
  • the Department for Work and Pensions transfers you to Universal Credit

If you are a council tenant, you can contact your Welfare Reform Officer for help to apply for Universal Credit.

If you have been placed into temporary accommodation, you can contact the Housing and Employment Team on 020 7361 2070 or email [email protected] between 9.00am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday for help to apply for Universal Credit. 

If you need any help in applying for Universal Credit, you can contact the following organisation:

Citizens Advice

Last updated: 29 June 2021