Free Christmas tree recycling - the Christmas tree composting scheme
If you have a real Christmas tree, the most environmentally conscious way to dispose of it is to compost it. The Council has two options for residents wanting to dispose of their real Christmas tree:
If you can’t compost your Christmas tree yourself, the Council can help. We have set up various locations across the borough where real Christmas trees can be dropped off. You can recycle your tree for free by dropping it off at the tree recycling locations listed below, between Wednesday 2 and Sunday 20 January 2019.
Please remember to remove decorations and pots.
Where are the locations?
North of the borough
- Sainsbury's, Canal Way (off Ladbroke Grove) W10
- Little Wormwood Scrubs (Opposite Brewster Gardens) W10
- Kensington Memorial Park (St Helen’s Gardens entrance) W10
- Talbot Road (in front of the church at the top of Colville Gardens) W11
- Cornwall Crescent (junction with Clarendon Road) W11
- Tavistock Road (junction with Basing Street) W11
- Pembridge Square (entering from Pembridge Villas) W2
- Kensington Park Road (junction with Convent Gardens) W11
- Bramley Road (junction with Whitchurch Road) W11
- Avondale Park (Walmer Road East entrance) W11
- Holland Park car park, Abbotsbury Road W14
- Palace Gate (junction with Kensington Gate – near the sculpture) W8
- Ifield Road (junction with Finborough Road) SW10
- Campden Hill Road (between Phillimore Walk and Duchess of Bedford Walk) W8
South of the borough
- Cremorne Gardens, Lots Road SW10
- Pont Street (junction with Cadogan Square) SW1X
- Royal Avenue (junction with St. Leonard’s Terrace) SW3
- The Boltons (south side of the church) SW10
- Robinson Street (pavement area, opposite the church) SW3
- Dovehouse Green SW3
- Westfield Park (Tetcott Road North entrance) SW10
How will I know where to deposit my tree?
There will be specially marked areas into which you can deposit your tree.
Christmas tree kerbside collection
We would prefer you to take your real Christmas tree to one of the tree recycling points listed, but if you are unable to, we can collect your tree for recycling on your rubbish and recycling collection day, between Wednesday 2 and Sunday 20 January 2019.
Please make sure:
- your tree is presented before 7am on your rubbish and recycling collection day
- the tree is clearly visible to the crew
- it is not obstructing the pavement
- all decorations and pots are removed.
Please note: If your tree is not presented properly and not before 7am on your collection day, then we can’t guarantee when it will be collected, and it may be treated as rubbish and not recycled at all! Check your rubbish and recycling collection days.
If you live on an estate, in a mansion block or in flats, and use communal bins/mixed recycling banks, you can take your real tree to the Christmas tree recycling points listed above, between Wednesday 2 and Sunday 20 January 2019.
Alternatively, your housing provider may also have a separate collection in place. You can check with your caretaker or property manager and make sure to ask if the trees will be composted, and won’t be thrown away as rubbish.