Around 7% of total household waste in Kensington and Chelsea comes from disposable nappies. Using reusable nappies is an important way to help reduce waste in our borough.
Nappy Natter advice sessions
If you live in Kensington and Chelsea, you can attend a free 'Nappy Natter' advice session. These are open to any parents or parents-to-be wishing to find out more about real nappies.
At these sessions, you’ll learn all about reusable nappies from a registered nappy advisor. It’s also a chance to meet and chat with other parents who use reusable nappies or are thinking about using them.
The Washable Nappy Company will be running some online Zoom sessions to answer any questions you may have about how to use and look after reusable nappies. The next sessions are on:
- Thursday 16 July 2020, 10:30am
- Thursday 30 July, 10:30 am
Claim your £45 real nappy voucher
If you live in Kensington and Chelsea, you’re entitled to a reusable nappy voucher worth £45 from the Washable Nappy Company. The best way to claim a voucher is to attend one of the ‘Nappy Natter’ sessions - all you need to do is bring proof of your:
- birth or pregnancy
You can also claim a voucher by sending these proofs to email@example.com.
For more information visit the Washable Nappy Company website.
Benefits of using real nappies
- It's better for the environment! Reusable nappies require less raw materials than disposables, (including single-use plastics), and less energy to produce and dispose of. A study by the Environment Agency found reusables can be 40% better for the environment than disposable nappies.
- You can save money! A recent study showed there is a saving of up to £1,000 compared to using disposable nappies. Some reusable nappies can be sold or used for a second child to save even more money.
- It's better for your baby. Babies with sensitive skin may react to materials in disposable nappies which include plastics, adhesives and absorbing chemicals.
More informtion and useful contacts
There is a range of reusable nappy advice and information available which provides more guidance and tips on washing and general use of nappies. Visit the Real Nappies for London website and the Washable Nappy Company website.