Tell us once

Tell Us Once service

When someone dies you will need to notify a number of different government departments and local services with a lot of similar information. The Tell Us Once service makes this process quicker andeasier.

What is Tell Us Once?

With Tell Us Once, when someone has died in the borough, we help tell all the relevant people and organisations who need to know. This also includes providing each organisation with a copy of the death certificate.

If the deceased lived outside of the borough you can still use the Tell Us Once service if their local authority is signed up to the programme. A list of participating local authorities can be found at the bottom of the page.

If you are not sure which local authority the deceased lived in please use the DirectGov postcode checker.

How do I access the service?

Tell Us Once is optional - when registering a death the registrar will ask if you'd like to take up the service. If you say yes you'll receive a reference number and you then have 28 days to call the Tell us Once line on 020 7361 3940 or go to to add the necessary information to help us inform all relevant organisations and departments.

If you say no we will not notify any government departments on your behalf. Please note that if you are the person dealing with the deceased's estate, or using the Tell Us Once service on their behalf, you will be responsible for providing correct and up to date information.


What information will you need to give us?

To ensure we pass on the right information you need to provide the following:

  • their national insurance number
  • passport number if a British passport holder
  • details of any benefits or services they were receiving (including providing a blue badge number if owned)


We may ask for information about

  • their next of kin
  • any surviving husband/wife or civil partner
  • anybody who is getting child benefit on their behalf
  • the person dealing with their estate.

You must get the agreement of the people listed above if you are going to provide us with information about them.

If you are not the next of kin, or the person dealing with the deceased's estate, you can still use the service if you have the authority to act on their behalf.


Who can we give information to?

We contact the following government and local services for you. 

  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • The Pension Service
  • Disability Service and Carers Service 
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • Identity and Passport Service
  • The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA)
  • HM Revenue and Customs
  • Child Benefit
  • Tax Credits


If you ask us to we can also contact the following local services

  • Adult social services
  • Blue Badge
  • Council housing
  • Council tax
  • Council tax benefit
  • Electoral services
  • Freedom Pass
  • Housing benefits
  • Library service
  • Payments owed for council services
  • Parking


More Information