Animal feed and mail forwarding registration

Information about registering businesses involved in animal feed or mail forwarding.

Animal Feed

If you run a business in Kensington and Chelsea that produces feed for animals (including pets), you need to register with the Council. This includes situations where waste food from humans is recycled to produce animal feed.

If you import from outside the European Union, you will also have to register.

For industry-specific advice about animal feed please visit the Food Standards Agency website. If you have specific questions, or want to register, email

Registering a mail-forwarding or holding business

You must register with the Council if your business provides an address in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea where postal packets may be sent, and either kept for collection or forwarded to clients.

This applies, even if the mail forwarding service is not the main purpose of your business.

Apply to the Council giving your name and address and the address of each place in the Borough used for this. Please email us at

If any of these details change you must notify the council within 14 days.

Record Keeping

All mail forwarding businesses must keep a record of:

  1. the full name, address and telephone number of all persons for whom post is received or who has requested postal packets received be held for collection or forwarded to them;
  2. the nature of the business (if any) carried out by that person;
  3. any instructions as to the delivery or forwarding of postal packets;
  4. the name and address of person(s) to whom postal packets are to be forwarded, if different from a) above; and
  5. copies of the originals of two documents approved by the council to identify those persons in a) above and verify their address(es).

A client’s name and address for a) above must not be the name and address of another mail- forwarding business.

The name and address details kept in a) above must be:

  • in the case of an individual, their residential address and their name;
  • in the case of a body corporate or partnership (note, a body corporate includes a limited company and limited partnership);
    • the registered office address or the principal address of the partnership
    • the names and private addresses of the directors or partners or another person directly or indirectly responsible for the management of the body corporate or partnership; and
    • the address of the principal place of business of the body corporate or partnership if different from any of the addresses mentioned in above.

This will mean that apart from where a client is a sole individual, a contract with a mail -forwarding business will require more than one name and address to be held by a mail forwarding business.

Retention and Inspection of Records

You must keep records of clients for at least a year after the end of an arrangement (or contract) to hold or forward on postal packets and to keep them available for inspection by the police or any authorised officer at all reasonable times.

Documents for Identification and Verification Purposes

Keep copies of the originals of two documents of types approved by the Council to identify clients and verify their addresses.

One from the photo identification list should identify the person, and one from the second list should verify their address.

A certificate of incorporation can be used to verify the name of a body corporate. A second document from the second list is still needed to verify the registered office address.

To ensure a copy of a document is of the original, we strongly recommend you take the copy from the original yourself. Alternatively, you may ask for a copy of an original document certified by a professional person. It is up to you to take steps to make sure that the copy you hold is that of the original.

Photo Identification - Proof of Identity

  • Passport
  • Driving licence (with Photo card)

Proof of address (provided both name and address is shown)

  • Utility bills such as gas, electricity, telephone and water
  • Mortgage statement
  • Council tax bill
  • Bank/ building society statement (includes credit card/ store card bill)
  • TV licence
  • Pay slip
  • P45/P60

Failing to register, keeping records as required or making false entries is an offence and could result in a fine. 

Applying for registration

Email for a form, or write to:

Trading Standards,
37 Pembroke Road,
W8 6PW

If any of the details on the form change after it is submitted, you must tell us within 14 days.

Last updated: 29 November 2019