Apply for a Tables and Chairs Licence
A Tables and Chairs Licence allows businesses to place tables and chairs and other street furniture on pavements and highways outside cafes, restaurants, public houses, bars and shops, so that pedestrians can walk safely without being obstructed.
Before you apply
- A Tables and Chairs Licence is valid for 12 months.
- The annual fees for placing tables and chairs on a public highway from 1 April 2020 are:
|Licence Application Fee||£502|
|Fee per chair||£19|
|Additional charge beyond 9pm||£245|
- You will be asked to provide evidence of your Public Liability Insurance cover to the minimum value of £5 million. Important - A Certificate of Employers Liability insurance is not an accepted document.
- Where the tables and chairs are to be placed on publicly maintained highway, planning permission is required.
- Read the Tables and Chairs Guidance Notes .
Highways Act 1980 – Tables and Chairs Licence and Planning permission
Consent under the Highways Act 1980 is required from the Council to place tables and chairs on the highway. This includes on any land over which the public have access, even if the land is privately maintained – for example unenclosed forecourts.
In addition where the tables and chairs are to be placed on publicly maintained highway, planning permission is required. Please note that if planning permission is required, the consent under the Highways Act cannot be issued until planning permission is granted.
You should allow up to twelve weeks for a consent under the Highways Act.
Applying for Planning permission
This is a separate process to applying for a Tables and Chairs Licence, although you can do both at the same time.
- The process takes approximately eight weeks, including a 21-day consultation period.
- You can make a planning application for either change of use or for tables and chairs through the Planning Portal.
- We can only start to process your planning application once you have submitted all required documentation and the correct fee.
- We will allocate you a planning reference number. This will become your planning permission number if your application is granted. This will be required with your Tables and Chairs Licence application.
- Make sure you note and comply with any conditions attached to the planning permission.
If you have any questions about applying for planning permission contact the planning service by emailing email@example.com or by telephone on 020 7361 301.
Transfer a licence
If a premises changes ownership and you want to transfer a licence to the new owners please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will need to:
- provide a letter from the previous owner confirming permission to transfer the licence.
- provide proof of Public Liability Insurance to the minimum value of £5 million.
- pay a Licence Transfer Fee of £149.
You can request a duplicate licence be emailing email@example.com.
The duplicate licence fee is £50.
Apply for a new Tables and Chairs Licence
Use this online form to apply for a new Tables and Chairs Licence or renew an existing Tables and Chairs Licence.
As part of your application, you’ll be asked to provide:
- your trading name and address.
- the type, quantity and size (dimensions) of furniture you plan to place in suspended parking bays.
- width of the footpath from building line to the kerb (in metres).
- a furniture plan at 1:50 scale, showing the proposed location of the tables, chairs and other street furniture outside the premises.
- the dates, days and hours you would like to place tables and chairs on the highway.
- Planning Permission reference number or if planning reference number is not yet available, the date the planning application was submitted.
- Public Liability Insurance Policy Schedule or a letter or formal document from the insurance company stating the stating the period of insurance, level of insurance cover and premises insured. Important - A Certificate of Employers Liability insurance is not an accepted document.
- Payment of the Licence Application Fee of £502 plus the fees per Chair and for placement of tables and chairs after 9pm (if applicable).
Renew a Tables and Chairs Licence
You need to submit a renewal application 12 weeks before your current licence expires. This ensures you have a licence in place before the current one expires.
You will receive a renewal reminder 12 weeks before your licence which contains the new Licence Fee and a password.
As part of your renewal application, you’ll be asked to provide:
- the current licence reference number
- the password from your renewal reminder letter
- you're current licence details will be displayed and you will be given the option to make changes if you wish.
When you're ready to start the application select the start button.
What happens after you apply?
- You will receive an email confirming we have received your Tables and Chairs Licence application.
- We will verify your documents and process your application before starting the consultation process. We will contact you if we have any questions or concerns about the documents you have supplied with the aim of resolving any concerns so that the consultation can start.
- During the consultation your application will be published on the Council's website for 28 days to allow for local residents and businesses to make a representation. If three or more objections from members of the public, or an objection from a Ward Councillor is received, it will be referred to the Licensing Sub Committee (B) for determination. Until the application is determined you cannot place tables and chairs on the footway. For more information visit Search for a Tables and Chairs Licence or submit a representation.
- After the consultation period has ended, you will receive a formal letter approving your application and requesting the final fee payment.
- Once the final fee payment has been made, we will issue your tables and chairs licence, by email. You must print and display your licence in your premises window for the duration of the licensed period.