Tables and Chairs Licensing
Following the nationwide closure of most businesses due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Council has introduced two new Tables and Chairs Licences, (in addition to the existing Tables and Chairs Licence) to help businesses recover as quickly as possible.
The two Tables and Chairs Licences now available are:
- Pavement Licence
- Tables and Chairs Licence
A Pavement Licence is a new, temporary Licence that allows business to place tables and chairs on pavements and closed roads outside cafes, restaurants, public houses, bars and shops so that pedestrians can walk safely without being obstructed.
- We will grant Pavement Licences on our footways for 12 months or until 30 September 2021, whichever is the shorter duration.
- On (closed) roadways we will issue Pavement Licences for three months. This is the minimum permissible under the Business and Planning Act and will allow the Council to review whether to extend the duration of road closures.
- The Licence Application Fee is £100 which is payable before your application can be processed. This charge is non-refundable.
For more information and how to apply visit Apply for a Pavement Licence.
Tables and Chairs Licence
A Tables and Chairs Licence allows business to place tables and chairs on pavements and highways outside cafes, restaurants, public houses, bars and shops so that pedestrians can walk safely without being obstructed.
- A Tables and Chairs Licence is valid for 12 months.
- The annual fees for placing tables and chairs on a public highway from 1 April 2021 are:
|Licence Application Fee||£512|
|Fee per chair||£19|
|Additional charge beyond 9pm||£250|
- Where the tables and chairs are to be placed on publicly maintained highway, planning permission is required.
- Where tables and chairs are to be placed on a privately maintained highway, you don't need planning permission but you do need to apply for a Tables and Chairs Licence.
For more information and how to apply visit Apply for a Tables and Chairs Licence.