Our Pledge To Looked After Children and Care Leavers

We will:

Provide you with a secure home where you are cared for

  • If you are going into foster care, semi-independent accommodation or a children’s home we will give you as much information as we can about the place and the people there so you know what to expect.
  • We will help you to get a passport or travel document along with other key documents such as a national insurance number and a provisional driving licence.
  • We want all children to have at least one annual holiday experience and you should expect this to be discussed in your reviews.
  • When you get older and are leaving care we will support you to develop your skills and confidence to manage independence. We will give you information about “Our Local Offer” for care leavers which will explain the range of help we can provide.
  • When you move into independent accommodation we will make sure you don’t have to pay Council Tax for a period of time to ensure you can settle in and manage your finances.
  • We will continue to support you up until the age of 25 if you need it.
  • You will be supported to save for when you leave care and we will set up a savings account for you.

Keep you safe from harm

  • In keeping you safe we will provide you with information and a range of activities and opportunities to help you build your knowledge about keeping you safe.
  • If you go missing from your home we will think carefully about involving the police and will do all we can to work with you to understand why you go missing. We will offer you an independent person to talk to if it is easier.
  • We understand that it is important that you have a positive relationship with your social worker or personal advisor. We will only change them after we have talked with you and it is either in your best interest, or absolutely necessary to do so.
  • If your social worker is away from the office, you will be given the name of another worker to contact so you don’t have to speak with several different people you don’t know.
  • When your social worker visits you, you should be able to speak to them alone.

Support you to achieve in education and training

  • You will have the support of a specialist education team called the Virtual School to make sure that you get the best help and financial support to do well in your education or training.
  • We will make sure that you have access to a computer in your placement and materials including appropriate software, providing you remain in education or training.
  • You will have access to a range of activities and opportunities during the holiday and term time to explore work and training or just to have fun.
  • We will provide you opportunities for work experience and apprenticeships within the Council and local employers.
  • If you want to stay on in further education, we will support you to find the right course and to help you financially to achieve this.

Support your health and emotional wellbeing

  • You will have a specialist looked after children’s nurse to help you with any health problems and make sure your carers are keeping you healthy.
  • If you are struggling with your mental health or need support with your emotional wellbeing You will have access to an expert who will make sure either you or your carers can get help.
  • We will support you to access a range of different leisure and sporting activities such as free swimming or gym membership.
  • We will provide you with a mentor or independent visitor who can give you additional practical and emotional support
  • We will arrange for you to keep in contact with family and others who are important to you wherever possible.

Ensure you are listened to and take part in things that affect you

  • You will be supported to be fully involved in your care planning and reviews with access to an advocate if you need one.
  • We will ensure your care plan includes your views and your needs. It will cover what will be done to meet those needs and your future plans.
  • When decisions are made about you, your views will be taken into consideration. All important decisions like a placement move require a review meeting unless it is an emergency or part of the agreed plan.
  • You will have an advocate who is not your carer or social worker to help you if you are not happy with something or just need some support.
  • You can Join Future’s Union, our children in care council, giving you the opportunity to have your voice heard and make suggestions about how to improve the services you receive.

Last updated: 4 August 2022