Families Forward (Edge of Care Service)
Families Forward is the Council's Edge of Care Service. We work:
- with families with complex difficulties who are receiving support from a social work team
- in the home and local community to help improve family relationships and reduce risks to children
What we do
The focus of Families Forward is to:
- prevent family breakdown and children / young people going into care
- improve family relationships
- work with families and other professionals to bring about positive change and reduce risks to children
We also have a substance use worker and a child sexual exploitation lead who work one-to-one with young people. Referrals can only be made by social workers.
How we work
We usually work with families for between 12 to 18 months and provide a package of support that is tailor-made to their needs.
Our interventions focus on building and maintaining family relationships and also includes:
- working in the family home or community
- providing parenting, one-to-one child/young person sessions and family sessions
- working in flexible and creative ways to engage the whole family
Family Activity Programme
We also run a Family Activity Programme. The programme provides opportunities for families to spend quality time together and improve their family relationships by taking part in activities such as:
Families Forward families have priority for the Family Activity Programme. Social work teams, Early Help and Youth Offending Services can also refer to this programme for available spaces.
Action for Change
Action for Change is part of the Families Forward Team. The team work with birth parents who have had their children removed permanently from their care.
Read more about Action for Change.
Last updated: 3 March 2022