Domestic abuse housing support

Exit this page

If you are experiencing domestic abuse you can call the 24 hour free National Domestic Abuse Helpline for advice - 0808 2000 247.

You can also phone Kensington and Chelsea’s Housing emergency out of hours number: 0207 361 3008.

If you are in immediate danger, you should always call the police on 999 If you are unable to talk, press 55 when prompted and your call will be transferred to the police.

What is domestic abuse and can we help?

Domestic abuse is any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between people over 16 who are, or have been, intimate partners or any family members regardless of gender or sexuality. It can include so-called ‘honour based’ abuse, female genital mutilation and forced marriage.

Domestic abuse can impact anyone, at any point in their life and the perpetrator can be anyone with an intimate relationship OR any family member.

Find the full definition of domestic abuse under the Domestic Abuse Act 2021 on the GOV.UK website

The Council will support all victims of domestic abuse including children, and we will always consider the diverse needs of our residents.

We will always put your choices and wishes at the heart of the support we offer you. We recognise there are different barriers for different communities, and we will take account of all your needs to provide the best support possible.

Signs of domestic abuse

If anyone you are in / previously have been in an intimate relationship with OR a family member has exhibited any of the following behaviours, you may be experiencing domestic abuse. You can find help and get support.

Exit this page

Abusive behaviours
  • Is your partner jealous and possessive?
  • Are they charming one minute and abusive the next?
  • Do they tell you what to wear, where to go, who to see?
  • Do they constantly put you down?
  • Do they play mind games and make you doubt your judgement?
  • Do they control your money, or make sure you are dependent on them for everyday things?
  • Do they pressure you to have sex when you don’t want to?
  • Are you starting to walk on eggshells to avoid making them angry?
  • Do they control your access to medicine, devices or care that you need?
  • Do they monitor or track your movements or messages?
  • Do they use anger and intimidation to frighten and control you?

Source: Refuge Website

Coercive and controlling behaviour

Domestic abuse isn’t always physical. Coercive control includes acts of assault, threats, humiliation and intimidation or other abuse that is used to harm, punish, or frighten you. This controlling behaviour is designed to make you dependent on the person causing you abuse, by isolating you from friends and family, exploiting you, depriving you of independence and regulating your everyday behaviour.

You are at higher risk if…

You are statistically at higher risk of abuse if:

  • You’re pregnant
  • You’re separating or leaving the home
  • There are children in the home

Exit this page

Your housing options

You can always approach us for support – the options available may be different depending on your current housing situation.

No matter what, our staff will always:

  • Start by believing what you tell them
  • Treat you and what you say with respect and sensitivity 
  • Recognise that people may have different needs and that people from minority backgrounds or different faiths, older people and the LGBTQ+ communities face more barriers in asking for help and accessing support
  • Keep the information you tell us confidential, unless we feel that you, a child or another person is at high risk

Our guarantees

  • You can meet with an officer alone, or with a domestic abuse advocate if you prefer
  • We have translation services available if you need it
  • You can choose to speak to a member of staff of the same sex

What support is available and where to find it

There is a range of support on offer, both from the Council, and from other agencies including specialist domestic abuse services.

Exit this page

How to contact the Council about housing

If you would like to get advice on your housing options please contact the Housing Solutions Team whether you are:

  • a homeowner
  • homeless or sofa surfing
  • a private rented sector tenant
  • a housing association tenant
  • living in temporary accommodation
  • without recourse to public funds or are a refugee or asylum seeker

Contact: [email protected] or 0207 361 3008.

Visit us at:
RBKC Customer Service Centre
Kensington Town Hall
Hornton Street
W8 7NX
Our opening hours are: 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.

For emergency accommodation, Kensington and Chelsea’s out of hours housing line is open 5pm-9am weekdays, and on weekends and bank holidays. Call us on 0207 361 3008.

If you’re a Council tenant or leaseholder with Kensington and Chelsea’s Housing Management contact: 0800 137 111.

If you live on the Lancaster West Estate contact: [email protected] or call 0800 389 2005.

For Grenfell Housing Services contact: [email protected]

You can access domestic abuse support and domestic abuse advocate services from the Angelou Service.

  • Email: [email protected],
  • Telephone: 0808 801 0660 (Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm and Wednesday 6pm to 9pm)
  • or 0800 059 0108 (Monday to Friday 10am to 6pm and Thursday 8am to 6pm).
Support for children and families

If you want to seek advice about a child in your household, you can seek advice from the Angelou service.

  • Email: [email protected],
  • Telephone: 0808 801 0660 (Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm and Wednesday 6pm to 9pm)
  • or 0800 059 0108 (Monday to Friday 10am to 6pm and Thursday 8am to 6pm).

Translators are available on both lines.

You can also seek advice about children living in your home or if a child is at risk, please contact the assessment and access team duty social work team on 020 7361 3013 or [email protected]

Out of hours: If you need a service in an emergency between 5pm and 9am on weekdays or 24 hours a day at weekends and bank holidays, you can contact the Children’s and Families Emergency Duty Team on 0207 373 2227

If you are a Council tenant in Kensington and Chelsea

If you live in a council property (Housing Management) you can contact our Neighbourhood Management service for support, advice and guidance to discuss your housing options. Our housing officers will approach your disclosure with understanding and sensitivity.

Even if the tenancy is not in your name, or you have lived in the house for a while you can still contact us for support.

Contact Housing Management on 0800 137 111 

Staying safe in your home

Whether you live in a council home, housing association home, private rented or owned home we can help make your home safer.

If you want to stay in your home but need additional security in place, the Council’s Sanctuary Scheme can provide safety measures such as additional locks, stronger doors, fireproof letterboxes. This is available to anyone experiencing domestic abuse or safeguarding issues. Do note that you will need permission from your landlord.

For more information on making your home safer you can contact our Community Safety Team at [email protected]  or speak to your Housing Officer or Neighbourhood Services Co-ordinator.

Our housing officers can also help you with safety planning guidance if you are looking to leave your home. This is useful guidance on how to keep yourself and your children safe.

If you are a homeowner, living in private rented sector, or housing association home?

If you are not a council tenant but need advice on your housing options, you can still contact the Housing Solutions team who can advise you of your housing options if you want to move. As a homeowner, private rent or housing association tenant in Kensington and Chelsea you can also access the Sanctuary Scheme (see above) which can help make your home safer.

If you need help recovering your deposit, with your tenancy agreement or advice on getting housing benefit for a privately rented property you can also contact Citizens Advice or Shelter for advice and guidance.

Finding a home in Kensington and Chelsea

Whether you live in private or social housing do not give up your tenancy until you have spoken with your housing officer and received legal advice.

If you are leaving your home due to domestic abuse, you will have priority for emergency housing (unless you are subject to immigration controls). You may have to spend time in temporary accommodation before you are permanently rehoused. Your Housing Officer will assist you in making a homelessness application if you feel this is the best option for you.

If you decide to rent privately you may be entitled to support through housing benefit or Universal Credit.

Victims of domestic abuse can contact the homelessness team to discuss housing options by:

  • Emailing [email protected]   
  • Phoning 0207 361 3008 (at any time)
  • Completing the Housing Assistance Online Contact Form (you can complete this in your own language)
    Start form 
  • Or visiting us at Kensington Town Hall, Hornton Street, London W8 7NX
If you do not currently live in Kensington and Chelsea but want to apply here

If you do not live in the borough but are experiencing domestic abuse and want to find a safer home, you can approach any council in the country to make a homeless application. In Kensington and Chelsea you can contact our Housing Solutions Team to discuss your housing options.

If you live in Kensington and Chelsea but want to leave the borough

Whether you’re in private or social housing you can approach any council you choose for rehousing.

Do not give up your tenancy until you have spoken with a housing officer and received legal advice.

Your Housing Officer can offer guidance in discussing the best options for you. You can contact either your Housing Officer, Neighbourhood Services Coordinator, or the Housing Solutions team for guidance.

Our housing officers can help you with safety planning guidance if you are looking to leave your home. This is useful guidance on how to keep yourself and your children safe.

If you live in a housing association property in Kensington and Chelsea

If you live in a housing association property, the best thing would be to contact your housing officer to discuss your housing options as they may be able to help you move. You are also able to access the Sanctuary Scheme.

However, if you need further advice, our Housing Solutions Officers can offer you guidance on safety planning and your options.

If I have no recourse to public funds or immigration concerns?

If you cannot access welfare or housing in the U.K you can contact the Housing Solutions team for advice and support. If you’re staying in Kensington and Chelsea whilst your asylum application is processed and you need to leave your current accommodation because of domestic abuse, you can speak to any of the RBKC outreach workers in your hotel, or hotel staff who can advise and support you.

If it is an emergency and you feel in danger, please call the police on 999. 

Exit this page

Resources and other support

As well as services and support from the Council there are other agencies and services that can provide support for victims of domestic abuse.


Refuges are safe houses for people who need to escape domestic abuse. They are confidential, and their locations are secret. This makes them a safer option to staying with friends and family where it possible for your abuser to guess your whereabouts. The majority of refuges are for women and children, however there are refuges spaces also available for men, and some LGBTQ+ services also have spaces.

Most victims of domestic abuse are women. For this reason, some domestic abuse services and most refuge spaces are for women and their children.

You can get a space in a refuge by calling the 24 Hour Free National Domestic Abuse Helpline - 0808 2000 247.

For more information you can visit the Refuge website.


Respect is an organisation that supports perpetrators, and male victims of domestic abuse. If you are concerned about your own behaviour and want to talk, Respect have a free confidential helpline which offers advice and support. Call on 0808 802 4040 or visit their website.

We also have two services we work with in RBKC to support perpetrators of abuse to change their behaviour:

CIFA (Culturally Integrated family approach) a Support for perpetrators from minoritised communities.  Referrals can be made once permission is sought from the perpetrator and all of their victims will receive simultaneous support Drive, a Perpetrator programme that works with people one-on-one to form an individualised plan to look at forming healthy relationships 
Drive, a Perpetrator Intervention that works with people one-on-one to form an individualised plan to look at forming healthy relationships. Referrals are made from the MARAC and the Police Domestic Abuse Panel.

Please ask your housing officer if you want to know more about these two services as you will not be able to directly refer yourself.

Domestic Abuse Support Services for victims in RBKC
Organisation How / who they can help Contact Referral form link

Refuge/ National Domestic Abuse Helpline

Anyone experiencing domestic abuse

Website available in Arabic, Spanish, Polish, and English

Freephone, 24-hour Helpline:

0808 2000 247

Refuge National Domestic Abuse Helpline website
Angelou Services
  • Women and girls over 13
  • Single women and women in a relationship
  • Mothers and families
  • Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people
  • Arabic and Moroccan speaking women
  • Women from the African diaspora
  • Older people
  • Telephone: 0808 801 0660
    Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm
    Wedneday 6pm to 9pm
  • Telephone: 0800 059 0108
    Monday to Friday 10am to 6pm
    Thursday 8am to 6pm

Translators available for both lines

Email: [email protected] 

Advance Charity contact us webpage
Advance & IDVA Service  For women and girls (aged 15+) living in London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster and Brent experiencing domestic violence from current or former partner/family member, including forced marriage/honour-based violence

Mainline telephone: 020 8741 7008

Tri-Borough (Hammersmith and Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster):

RBKC telephone: 0800 059 0108 

Email: [email protected] 

Advance Charity website
Domestic Violence Intervention Project (DVIP)- A Division of Richmond Fellowship
  • For men who have been violent to their partner
  • For women who have suffered domestic violence
  • Support parents and children affected by domestic violence. 
  • Specific Arabic Speaking Service available

Telephone: 020 7633 9181

Email: [email protected]

Domestic Violence Intervention Project (DVIP) webpage
Women and Girls Network
  • Women-only organisation 
  • Free and confidential advice
  • Advocacy, counselling and support group services for women and girls
  • For those who have experienced gendered violence, including sexual and domestic violence
  • Telephone: 0808 801 0660
    Monday to Friday: 10am to 4pm and late evening Wednesday 6pm to 9pm
  • Email: [email protected]
Women and Girls Network website
Womens’ Trust

Free and confidential therapeutic services including counselling and support group

Self-development workshops and mother and children art therapy workshops for women who have experienced domestic services abuse

  • Telephone: 0207 034 0303
  • Email: [email protected]

    Office hours: Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5pm
Womens’ Trust website
Al-Hasaniya Moroccan Women's Centre
  • Practical, emotional support and sign-posting for Arabic speaking women
  • English as a second language
  • Asylum seeking and no recourse to public funds
  • IDVA conducts Risk and Needs assessments along with Safety Plans
  • Provides one to one support, advocacy, outreach and assistance relating to domestic violence, housing, health, legal issues etc.
  • Grenfell support
  • Older people
Al-Hasaniya Moroccan Women's Centre website
  • Provider of domestic abuse refuges in London
  • Combat Human Trafficking
  • Butterfly Project - Run by survivors for survivors, it provides support for women who have experienced or are currently experiencing domestic abuse

Telephone: 020 7378 3100

Email: [email protected]

Hestia's Domestic Abuse support services webpage
Galop - LGBTQ+ support

LGBTQ+ Anti-violence and abuse charity

Advice and support to people who have experienced biphobia, homophobia, transphobia, sexual violence or domestic abuse

Galop - the LGBT+ anti-abuse charity website
Iranian and Kurdish Women’s Rights Organisation (IKWRO) Help women and girls from the UK’s Middle Eastern communities and North Africa, Afghanistan and Turkey who are facing “honour” based violence, forced and child marriage, female genital mutilation (FGM) or domestic violence.
  • Telephone: 0207 920 6460
    Opening hours: 9.30am to 5pm
  • Out of hours emergency calls:
    07846 275 246      (Arabic/Kurdish/English)
    07846 310 157  (Farsi/Dari)
  • Email: [email protected]
IKWRO Women's Rights Organisation website
Solace Women’s Aid
  • Supporting women and children across London
  • Accommodation/ refuges
  • Therapeutic services
  • Advice/ support
  • Services for women with multiple disadvantage / NRPF

Telephone: 0808 802 5565

Email: [email protected]

Solace Women’s Aid website


Support for male victims of domestic abuse

Anyone can experience Domestic Abuse. There are Men’s domestic abuse advice services available nationally:

Respect Men’s Domestic Abuse Advice Line: 0808 801 0327

Man Kind Initiative: 01823 334 244

Men can also contact the National 24hr Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 2000 247

Support for people who are deaf or blind experiencing abuse
Safety planning advice

Safe Spaces – Safe Spaces uses publicly accessible places such as banks, pharmacies and shops who can provide spaces for victims of domestic abuse. Visit Safe Spaces Locations to find out more.

Bright Sky App – Download in the app store on your phone. It looks like a weather app but is full of useful information on getting support for domestic abuse:

Bright Sky on the App Store (
Bright Sky – Apps on Google Play

Exit this page

Last updated: 31 October 2023