Claims procedure

Making a claim against the Council

If you are a third party solicitor

If you wish to submit a new Employer's Liability (EL), Public Liability (PL) or Road Traffic Accident (RTA) claim against the Council through the Claims Portal, the Council’s Portal Code is: G01065.

If you are a claimant in person

If you wish to make a claim against the Council please submit a letter of claim to the Council’s Insurance team:

  • email:
  • post: Insurance Section, 3rd Floor, Town Hall, Hornton Street, London W8 7NX

The information needed in a letter of claim is defined in law and should include the following information:

  • claimant’s name and address
  • claimant’s date of birth
  • claimant’s National Insurance number
  • details of the incident such as exact location and date/time it occurred
  • an indication of the injury or damage to property
  • a detailed explanation of how or why you feel the Council has acted negligently

Please note: If you are making a highways claim it will assist us if you provide a completed highways claim form:

Before making a claim for compensation against the Council please note the following:

  • Everybody has the right to make a claim but the Council will only give compensation if the council is legally at fault for the incident.
  • For a personal injury claim, once the Council has acknowledged your letter of claim, they have 40 business days (from the date the letter of acknowledgement is sent) to investigate the claim and either admit or deny liability. These time scales adhere to the current Ministry of Justice: Pre-action Protocols. All other claims such as property damage claims are handled in the spirit of these protocols.
  • If you are insured privately for the damage or injury sustained, such as motor insurance, you may wish to report the claim to them. If covered they will settle your loss and then pursue recovery against the Council on your behalf, reducing the administrative burden on you.
  • Fraudulent claims will be prosecuted and could result in imprisonment.

Please include as much information as possible and include any photographs or maps of the location. It is your responsibility to prove your loss against the Council; vague or incomplete information or failure to identify the exact location of a slip or trip claim will prevent legitimate investigation and will result in your claim not being accepted as meeting the Ministry of Justice: Pre-action Protocols. The more information you provide the council, the easier it will be to investigate and reach a decision of liability.

Please note that failure to provide sufficient information in your letter will result in it not being considered a letter of claim.

If you are a Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea residential leaseholder

If you are a residential leaseholder and wish to make a claim on your buildings insurance, please refer to the Housing Management page.

If you are a Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea commercial property leaseholder

If you are a commercial property leaseholder and wish to make a claim on your building insurance, please call our commercial property insurers, Protector Insurance, quoting policy ref 549806:

Tel: 0161 274 9077

For all other queries please contact the Council's Insurance Section:

  • Email:
  • Post: Insurance Section, 3rd Floor, Town Hall, Hornton Street, London W8 7NX
  • Telephone: 07970 944472 / 07970 944466 / 07970 44475 / 07970 44462 / 07714 839767 / 07950 883197