Halls of residence

Student halls of residence are exempt from Council Tax.

If you live in a student hall of residence there is nothing to pay. You don't need to claim an exemption.

To qualify as a student hall of residence the building must be:

  • owned or managed by a charity, or by an educational establishment that mainly provides further or higher education; or
  • included in an agreement that allows an educational establishment to allocate most of the people who live there.

Last updated: 1 June 2020