Much can be done at a local level to combat climate change and lessen our impact on the environment.
Reducing your energy consumption will help reduce your CO2 emissions as well as your bills. Switch to energy saving bulbs and make sure you have switched everything off before you go to bed or go out.
Consider getting a Power Down device, or a Smart Meter, to monitor how much electricity you use. Measures such as boiler replacement and loft and cavity insulation can save even more energy.
The government's Green Deal initiative can help you make energy efficiency improvements to your home at no upfront cost to you.
- find out if you qualify for the Green Deal on the GOV.UK website
- find out if you are eligible for help with heating your home on the Affordable Warmth page
Greener Living Guide
- saving water in your home
- learn about the Council's Community Kitchen Gardens Scheme
- how to deal with extreme weather conditions, such as flooding, heat waves and drought
- how to comply with the climate change policy when making a planning application
- find out more about air quality in the borough
- reduce the impact of the things you buy with Defra's: A Shopper’s Guide to Green Labels