Solar Together London
Do you want to save on your energy bill and generate your own clean electricity?
Having your own solar panels can be a smart investment; not only can you save on your energy bill, but you could earn money from the electricity you generate and power your home with clean energy.
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea is working in partnership with the Mayor of London on Solar Together London. The innovative group-buying scheme brings households together to get high quality solar photovoltaic panels at a highly competitive price. Part of The Mayor’s Energy for Londoners programme, the scheme has already seen nearly 9,052 registrants and 624 installs completed across London – including 330 registrants and 19 installs in Kensington and Chelsea.
How does it work?
- Registration: You can register for free from now until 21 October 2019. You need to tell us details of your roof, like its size and orientation. Registration does not commit you to anything. Register on the solar together website.
- Auction: A supplier ‘auction’ will be held on 22 October 2019, when our approved solar suppliers will bid for the work. The more people that register, the better the deal should be for each household.
- Personal recommendation: From 11 November 2019 you will be contacted with a personal offer, based on the specification of your roof. This includes your costs and specification of your solar panel installation.
- You decide: The decision is then yours as to whether you want to accept your offer. There is no obligation to continue. You will have until 13 December 2019 to decide and will be invited to visit an information session.
- Installation: If you accept the offer, the winning suppliers will contact you to survey your roof and set an installation date. All installations are planned to be completed by the end of May 2020.
- Registration: 17 September to 21 October 2019
- Auction: 22 October 2019
- Personalised offers sent out: 11 November 2019
- Acceptance ends: 13 December 2019
- Installations take place: December 2019 to May 2020
Register and find out more
Solar Together London is being run in partnership with iChoosr - independent experts in group buying. For more information about the scheme, visit the Solar Together London website where you can register for the scheme and leave questions in the contact form. A dedicated freephone helpline is available to answer your questions Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm on 0800 060 8509.
Did you know that living in a conservation area doesn’t mean missing out on getting solar panels as they are known as a ‘permitted development’? This means, as long as certain conditions are met you usually don’t need planning permission. For more information, please check the frequently asked questions and answers on the Planning Portal website. However, it is recommended to check with the Council’s Planning Department before installation.
Listed buildings will generally not be suitable for the installation of solar panels. Listed Building Consent and/or planning permission would be required in any case. Any proposal should be discussed with the Council’s Planning Department.
You can check if your property is a listed building or in a conservation area. For further planning advice please call the Council's Planning Line on 020 7361 3012.