The Holland Park Ecology Centre
The Holland Park Ecology Centre was opened in September 2013 providing a purpose built base for the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Ecology Service. The Centre is an invaluable environmental education resource for schools and residents to enjoy and learn about the natural environment.
The Centre also provides a unique space that is used for public events and can be hired for birthday parties, functions, meetings and training purposes.
Our work includes:
- promoting awareness and understanding of biodiversity and the local environment through formal and informal education through our school visits.
- delivering a wide programme of events and activities about the natural environment
- protecting sites which are important for nature conservation
- developing local policies for nature conservation including the Borough's Biodiversity Action Plan
- advising on the management of open spaces to enhance biodiversity within the borough
- running the Holland Park Ecology Centre
The Holland Park Ecology Centre provides an excellent facility for local schools to study and enjoy the natural environment, and can be booked for field trips, Forest School and environmental education workshops throughout the year. Our Outdoor Investigations take place in Holland Park Wildlife Area, which features a wildlife pond with a dipping platform, woodland and grassland habitat. Visiting groups can work independently or with a member of staff.
All of our teaching staff are qualified Level 3 Forest School Leaders, who deliver 6-week programmes, and we run 6-week programmes for young people. Forest School is an educational model which encourages holistic, social, emotional, intellectual, physical, character and spiritual development through exploration of and engagement with the natural world.
Ecology Service Objectives
- to provide a base for environmental education at the Holland Park Ecology Centre giving children and adults first-hand experience of the natural world
- to provide a programme of events, walks, talks and workshops which promote the understanding of ecology
- to deliver a service of excellence which also provides value for money
- to enhance and monitor the borough’s biodiversity
- to encourage local residents to participate in practical conservation and environmental improvement
- to deliver a Local Biodiversity Action Plan
Ecology Service Standards
- we will continually develop our education resources in response to customer feedback in order to provide environmental education, which meets learning objectives, is enjoyable, safe and good value for money
- we aim to achieve a minimum of 95 per cent positive ratings, with scores of six to ten, for statements on our educational visit evaluation forms. We will also monitor and act on all feedback comments where practical
- we will provide enjoyable and informative school holiday activities, public events and opportunities for conservation volunteer work
How to Find the Ecology Centre
Holland Park Ecology Centre, Holland Park, Ilchester Place, London, W8 6LU
The Ecology Centre is located next to the Adventure Playground near the Abbotsbury Road Car Park within Holland Park.
We advise using public transport or cycling if possible when visiting the centre
There are three TFL cycle docking stations in and around the park, one on Abbotsbury Road, one on Ilchester Place and one on the Duchess of Bedford Walk. There are numerous bicycle locking stations if you bring your own bike.
- Bus routes that serve Holland Park are C1, 9, 23, 27, 28, 49, 94 and 328
- London Underground stations: Holland Park (Central line) and High Street Kensington (Circle and District)
- National Rail and Overground station: Kensington (Olympia)
- Plan your journey on the Transport for London website