Occupational Therapists CWDT


The Children with Disabilities Team has one full-time and one part-time Occupational Therapist (OT service) in post, who specialise in supporting children and young people by providing equipment and adaptations in their home environment.

The aim of the service is to support children and their parents/carers to manage everyday activities in their homes such as:

  • the morning and evening routine
  • sitting at the meal table
  • getting in and out of the building
  • playing
  • managing homework (for example advice on appropriate sitting)
  • safe washing facilities

Occupational therapists will do this by giving advice and training, loaning of specialist equipment, and making adaptations to the home.  The solutions to assessed needs can be complex and are sometimes limited by housing realities and social circumstances.  However, occupational therapists work with families to try and find the optimum solution for circumstances and resources.

Service provision

Referrals are made directly to the OT service and can be made via letter, telephone on 0207 598 4904 or email to FCSChildrenwithDisabilities@rbkc.gov.uk by the child's parent/carer or by any professional from health or social care.  Once all referral information is received, a decision is made regarding eligibility, and then allocation to an OT will be made within two weeks.  New referrals will be assessed within 28 days. However, re-assessments may need to be prioritised and seen according to the level of risk.

Equipment is loaned out to an individual from Medequip, for as long as they need it and are a resident in the borough.  Our OT service will automatically reassess a use of a piece of equipment if it has been designed to grow with a child, or will identify if it needs replacing because of the young person's growth.

Adaptations to a family home are carried out with the authorisation of the landlord or property owner, either by the landlords own adaptation or maintenance service.  When a major change is proposed an application can be made for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).