Fire Safety

Fire Safety Advice for Tenants

Your Landlord and letting or managing agents both have a legal duty to keep you and your visitors safe from fire. This is set out in law under This is set out in law under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and the Housing Act 2004 and associated regulations.

As a minimum, the law requires your landlord to:

  • install at least one smoke alarm on every storey of their rental property, which is used as living accommodation,
  • And a carbon monoxide alarm in any room used as living accommodation where solid fuel is used, such as coal, wood, etc.

A higher standard of fire safety may be required if you live in a house or flat share of more than three people (house in multiple occupation).

You can ask your landlord if they have carried out a fire risk assessment (FRA). This should contain the details of the fire safety provisions that are in the property including an emergency evacuation plan, so you know the actions you need to take in the event of an alarm or fire. If you need extra help to  exit a building, you should discuss with your landlord or agent who can carry out a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP). This sets out the help, guidance or special equipment required to allow you to evacuate quickly and safely.

This is your Landlord or agent’s responsibility. The Council cannot carry out your landlord’s fire risk assessment or emergency evacuation plan. 

Many of the fire safety requirements also apply to Housing Association (Registered Providers) tenants.

For more fire safety advice or if you would like a home safety visit by the London Fire Brigade website

You can also contact them free on 0800 028 4428. Or email: .

Please note we do not take responsibility for content of external websites.

Your responsibility as a Tenant

As a tenant you also have a legal responsibly for fire safety. We recommend that you work with your landlord or agent to resolve problems in the first instance. This may mean, 

  • Allowing  them to inspect or carry out works to your flat, house or room, at a pre-arranged reasonable time.
  • Providing information that they may reasonably require.
  • Taking reasonable care to avoid causing damage.
  • Complying with reasonable instructions of the landlord or agent about means of escape from fire, the prevention of fire and the use of fire equipment.
Fire Safety Booklets for Tenants

These booklets are also available in other languages. To request a different language version please email

Complaints and Regulation

If you think there is a problem with fire safety in your property, you should contact your landlord and explain your concerns.  If your landlord (includes Housing Association tenants) is failing to respond or that the issue is serious, please contact the Private Sector Housing Team:

  • Email:
  • Phone the Environmental Health Line: 020 7361 3002 
  • Write to: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Council Offices, 37 Pembroke Road, London, W8 6PW

Last updated: 29 July 2021