Debt Respite Scheme (Breathing Space)
The Government has created the Debt Respite Scheme in recognition of the challenges people can face dealing with debt. It is designed to give you the opportunity to take control of your finances and put them on a sustainable footing.
There are two different routes:
Breathing Space Moratorium
this allows a debtor 60 calendar days where no debt recovery action can be taken. The debtor must engage with debt advice.
Mental Health Crisis Moratorium
this route will enable protection to the debtor for the period they are receiving mental health crisis treatment, then for a further 30 days, and then for a further 60 days breathing space moratorium.
Nucleus Legal Advice
Local advice centre with specialist debt counsellors and money advisers.
- contact by phone on 020 7373 4005
- visit the Nucleus website
- Use the debt advice line by calling 020 3727 9300
If you are finding it difficult to manage financially, there are a number of organisations that may be able to help you with essential items. Visit the Help and Advice pages for more information.
Advice UK is a UK network of advice and information agencies.
- contact by phone on 020 7469 5700
- or visit the Advice UK website
StepChange is a charity helping people who are in debt through free, independent information and advice.
- contact by phone on 0800 138 1111
- or visit the StepChange website
Shelter offers free confidential advice on housing, debt and welfare benefits.
- contact the housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444
- or visit Shelter's website
Payplan provides a free debt management service to people with debt problems.
- contact by phone on 0800 716 239
- or visit Payplan's website
This is an independent advice service set up by Government.
- contact by phone on 0800 138 7777
- or visit the MoneyHelper website.
Citizens Advice offers information on a wide range of issues including money and debt.
- contact by phone on 0844 826 9708
- visit the Citizens Advice website for online advice and details of local services in the borough
The National Debtline is a national telephone helpline for people with debt problems in England, Scotland and Wales. The service is free, confidential and independent.
- contact by phone on 0808 808 4000
- or visit the National Debtline website
Crosslight Advice provide face-to-face debt advice and money education support.
Last updated: 25 May 2023