Resident Safety

How we handle antisocial behaviour reports

We will investigate your complaint confidentially and will only contact the person you are complaining about, or other agencies such as the police with your consent. Before taking action, we will agree this with you. You have told us that even if this action takes some time you want to be kept up to date. So, your case will be regularly reviewed, and we will update you at key stages.

Each case will be assessed individually, and we will write a personalised support plan for those experiencing/reporting antisocial behaviour.

For those residents who would like to take legal action, we will work with you and support you every step of the way including if you have to appear in court.

What measures can we take?

The Council together with the police and its partners are committed to tackling antisocial behaviour through early prevention and enforcement. We do rely on you to report matters to us and if you do, we will take tough and swift action if it is appropriate

There are a number of measures available to us:

  • mediation
  • interviewing tenants, when needed, with police
  • issuing warning letters or acceptable behaviour agreements
  • applying for civil injunctions

We can also take the following legal action in serious cases of antisocial behaviour:

  • The Noise Nuisance Team can serve Noise Abatement Notices and obtain a warrant from the magistrates to seize and remove all noise making equipment
  • Seek possession for breaching a Noise Abatement Notice
  • Issue Civil Injunctions
  • Issue Community Protection Notices (CPN). CPNs deal with unreasonable, persistent, or continuing conduct by anyone aged 16 or over, or by a business or organisation, that negatively affects the community’s quality of life. This could include noise, graffiti, litter, or dog nuisance
  • Issue Criminal Behaviour Orders (CBOs). CBOs can be used to tackle persistent antisocial behaviour by people involved in criminal activity
  • starting possession proceedings
  • Obtain a Premises Closure Order in partnership with the Police
  • Evict a tenant – this would happen as an end result of possession proceedings

Community trigger

The community trigger, introduced by the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014, gives victims the right to request a review of their case and bring agencies together to take a joined up, problem-solving approach to try and resolve matters.

Visit the community trigger webpage for more information.

Free mediation service for Council tenants

If you have a problem with a neighbour that you can’t resolve yourself it is possible that it can be resolved quickly and easily by mediation.

The Council works in partnership with Concordian, who offer a free mediation service to our tenants to help parties resolve their differences. For example, issues caused by:

  • harassment or intimidation,
  • clashes in lifestyle,
  • use of shared spaces,
  • parking disputes,
  • noise or loud music,
  • litter or fly-tipping,
  • children’s behaviour, or
  • pets.

Concordian can provide an impartial, trained mediator to work with you to try to reach a solution that suits everyone involved.

What should I expect?

Once you have contacted the Neighbourhood Management Team, a mediator will organise an introductory meeting with you to hear your side. The mediator will also have a similar meeting with the other party. The mediator will listen to what has happened and what both parties would like as a resolution.

These meetings are confidential and are usually held at a neutral venue. Meetings can be held over the phone or via videoconference (like Zoom). Alternatively, if either of the parties is unwilling to have face-to-face contact, a mediation can be held so that the parties are in different rooms (this is called Shuttle mediation).

If you would like someone, such as a loved one, to accompany you this is normally possible.

If you have difficulties understanding, or being understood, in English, it is possible for a translator to be present.

Any agreements reached at the mediation are written up and returned to the parties involved. Any agreements are also shared with the Council to ensure that the parties abide by any promises that are made.

It normally takes two meetings to find a resolution but can take more depending on the individual circumstances. The mediator will normally stay in touch with the parties for a period following a successful meeting to ensure a satisfactory resolution.

Who do I contact?

Please contact the Neighbourhood Management Team on 0800 137 111 or email [email protected]

Reporting Noise and Nuisance

If you are experiencing problems with neighbour noise, such as DIY work, loud music or any other type of noise, you should try to take steps to resolve the problem yourself before involving the council.

View what steps you could take to resolve the problem yourself.

If you are unable to resolve a problem, if the problem persists or if you do not feel safe to do so, the Noise and Nuisance Team may be able to help you. Environmental Health Officers are trained to decide if a disturbance is a statutory nuisance and are authorised to take legal action to stop statutory nuisance from both domestic homes and commercial businesses.

The number for the team is 0207 361 3002, and email is [email protected]. Or you can report a noise online.

Read our Antisocial Behaviour Policy

The Neighbourhood Management Antisocial Behaviour Policy outlines our approach to addressing antisocial behaviour affecting or caused by tenants, leaseholders and freeholders in Council properties and estates.

Last updated: 9 February 2024