Council Apprenticeships

Council Apprenticeships

If you love learning, but also wants to gain experience in the work place whilst getting paid, then you should consider an apprenticeship.

An apprenticeship is a full-time work-based learning programme that combines accredited learning with paid work. It gives you the opportunity to study towards a nationally recognised qualification (fully paid for by the council), whilst gaining real experience. By the end of the programme you will have acquired the skills, knowledge and experiences, as well as a relevant qualification, to perform a skilled role. Every apprentice earns at least the minimum London Living Wage.

80% of your time will be spent working in a role which gives you the experience you need to excel in your chosen sector. The other 20% of your time will be spent on off-the-job training which may be delivered in several ways: face to face, online, though projects, through supervision and mentoring.

Apprenticeship levels

  • Intermediate: level 2 (GCSE)
  • Advanced: level 3 (A Level)
  • Higher: levels 4, 5, 6 and 7 (Foundation degree and above)
  • Degree: levels 6 and 7 (Bachelor's or master's degree)


What type of apprenticeships do you offer?

The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea offers a range of apprenticeship opportunities and, depending on the level of qualification and profession chosen, they could last from 12 months to 5 years. We offer all levels of apprenticeships, from Intermediate to Degree level.

We offer apprenticeships in:

  • Leadership and management
  • Project management
  • Business and administration
  • Customer Service
  • Finance and accounting
  • Commercial
  • Housing
  • Human resources 
  • Audit and risk
  • Social care
  • Digital and IT
  • Trades

And many others.


Can I do an apprenticeship?

The only entry requirements to apply are:

  • you must be over the age of 16, and
  • not in full time education or work

That’s it! There is no age limit and anyone can apply. Unfortunately, you are not eligible if you already have a qualification that overlaps with the apprenticeship you are applying for (for example: if you have a degree in History you can apply for a level 3 Housing, but if you have a degree in Business Management you can’t apply for a level 3 Business Administration).

We encourage unemployed residents of RBKC to apply to our apprenticeship programme, including school leavers, care leavers, people with disabilities and people who are long term unemployed.


Extra benefits of an apprenticeship

  • the training and assessments are covered and paid for by the council - so you can avoid the burden of student loans
  • holiday allowance and bank holidays off
  • 30% off adult-rate travel cards and bus and tram season tickets
  • you can apply for the NUS card and get up to 50% off driving lessons, clothes, travel and lots more


How to apply

Visit our careers portal and search for the apprenticeship which is right for you. If you can’t find one, you can set up alerts to your email.

Alternatively, have a look at the National Apprenticeship Service website, where all apprenticeship vacancies in the country are advertised.


Last updated: 16 April 2020