Sing to Live, Live to Sing is a singing for health programme in Kensington and Chelsea, initiated by the Council's Arts Service in partnership with Public Health.
Did you know singing can help to improve breathing, relieve stress, develop core muscles and improve posture, as well as boosting confidence, encouraging a feeling of belonging, and improving overall mood?
Take part in the Sing to Live, Live to Sing group singing workshops, have fun and meet people. Workshops are normally free, and open to all residents aged 18 years and over. No previous singing experience is necessary. Participants will be invited to take part in a short health questionnaire during the workshop series.
Sing to Live Calendar 2018-19
Workshops take place weekly in twelve week blocks as set out below:
Autumn Term 2018: week commencing Monday 3 September to Friday 23 NovemberSing to Live at Leighton House (part of Silver Sunday events): Sunday 7 October, 11am, Leighton House Museum, 12 Holland Park Road, W14 8LZ
Please note that Leighton House Museum does not currently have wheelchair access. The ground floor is accessible via a small flight of stairs, and the studio via a staircase.
Sing to Live Winter Concert: Sunday 2 December, 6 to 8pm, The Tabernacle, W11 2AY
The Tabernacle is a fully accessible venue.
Winter Term 2019: week commencing Monday 7 January to Friday 29 March 2019Additional sessions for rehearsals ahead of a performance may be added to the end of term. Workshop leaders will provide prior notice of these during term time.
You can join the programme at any time during the term.
Please return paper forms to Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Council Offices, The Annex, Arts Service, 37 Pembroke Road, W8 6PW
- Fridays, 2pm to 4pm
- Venue: Venture Centre, 103a Wornington Road, London W10 5YB (Wheelchair Accessible)
- Contact: The Venture Centre on 020 8960 3234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hosted by the Venture Centre
- Tuesdays, 7pm to 9pm
- Fridays, 10am to 12 noon
- Venue: Chelsea Theatre, 7 World’s End Place, King’s Road, London SW10 0DR (Wheelchair Accessible)
- Please note that Chelsea Theatre is undergoing renovations from August 2018 into Spring 2019. During this time Sing to Live will take place in the studio to the right of the main building.
- Contact: Chelsea Theatre, 020 7352 1967 or email@example.com
- Hosted by Chelsea Theatre and World’s End and Cremorne Community Champions.
Dalgarno Community Centre
- Mondays, 2pm to 4pm
- Thursdays, 6pm to 8pm
- Venue: Dalgarno Community Centre, 1 Webb Close, Dalgarno Way, London W10 5QB (Wheelchair Accessible)
- Contact: Dalgarno Community Centre, 020 8969 6300 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hosted by Dalgarno Community Centre and Dalgarno Community Champions
Latymer Community Church (at 240 Project)
- Monday 3 September, 2pm to 4pm (taster session)
- From 11 September, this group will meet on Tuesdays from 2pm to 4pm
- Venue: Latymer Community Church (upstairs), 116 Bramley Road, London W10 6SU (Not Wheelchair Accessible)
- Contact: 240 Project, 020 7221 7530 or email@example.com
- Hosted by 240 Project, drop-in centre for the vulnerable and excluded
Response Community Projects
- Wednesdays, 12.15pm to 2.15pm
- Venue: Response Community Projects, 300 Old Brompton Road, London SW5 9JF (Wheelchair Accessible)
- Contact: Linda Ogbuehi, 020 7370 4606 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hosted by Response Community Projects
St Cuthbert’s Church
- Tuesdays, 6.45pm to 8.45pm
- Venue: St Cuthbert's Church, 50 Philbeach Gardens, London SW5 9EB (Not Wheelchair Accessible)
- Contact: Arts Service, 020 7361 4378 or email@example.com
- Hosted by St Cuthbert’s Church, this group focuses on repertoire to challenge those with some previous singing experience
Sing to Live, Live to Sing groups enjoy performing to the public at both smaller community and large-scale events. If you would like to invite Sing to Live, Live to Sing to perform at your event or venue, please contact Miranda MacFarlane in the Arts Service on the contact details below.
Watch short films showing Sing to Live, Live to Sing in action
This short film introduces the Sing to Live, Live to Sing programme and shares experiences from residents taking part. The film was shot during a performance at the Victoria & Albert Museum in December 2015.
This short film features singers performing together at Age UK’s Health Fair at Kensington Town Hall in October 2015, and features stories from participants about the health and well-being benefits they have experienced.
This short film was commissioned by Chelsea Theatre, and features their Sing to Live, Live to Sing groups performing at a community health and well-being event, with invited audience taking part in an interactive Sing to Live, Live to Sing workshop.
Sing to Live, Live to Sing is a joint initiative from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Arts Service and Public Health. We gratefully acknowledge the support of the host venues who provide their space in kind for Sing to Live, Live to Sing groups.
For general information about the programme contact Miranda MacFarlane in the Arts Service on 020 7361 3844 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more about our workshop leaders including their background and experience.
Health monitoring and evaluation of the programme
An important part of the Sing to Live, Live to Sing programme is the evaluation of the health and well-being outcomes for residents. Download a summary evaluation of the pilot project: