Sing to Live, Live to Sing is a singing for health programme in Kensington and Chelsea, initiated by the Council's Arts Service in partnership with Public Health.
Did you know singing can help to improve breathing, relieve stress, develop core muscles and improve posture, as well as boosting confidence, encouraging a feeling of belonging, and improving overall mood?
Take part in the Sing to Live, Live to Sing group singing workshops, have fun and meet people. Workshops are normally free, and open to all residents aged 18 years and over. No previous singing experience is necessary. Participants will be invited to take part in a short health questionnaire during the workshop series.
Sing to Live Calendar 2019-20
Workshops take place weekly in twelve week blocks as set out below:
Monday 29 April to Friday 19 July 2019
Taster sessions are running Monday 29 April – Friday 3 May at all Venues.
Please note there are no workshops on bank holidays: Monday 6 May and Monday 27 May
Includes additional week for rehearsal pre-winter Concert
Monday 2 September to Friday 29 November 2019
Inclusive of half term w/c Monday 21 October
Monday 6 January to Friday 28 March 2020
Inclusive of half term w/c Monday 17 February.
You can join the programme at any time during the term.
Please return paper forms to Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Arts Services, Council Offices, The Annex, Arts Service, 37 Pembroke Road, W8 6PW
- Fridays, 2pm to 4pm
- Venue: Venture Centre, 103a Wornington Road, London W10 5YB (Wheelchair Accessible)
- Contact: The Venture Centre on 020 8960 3234 or email email@example.com
- Hosted by the Venture Centre
- Tuesdays, 7pm to 9pm
- Fridays, 10am to 12 noon
- Venue: Chelsea Theatre, 7 World’s End Place, King’s Road, London SW10 0DR (Wheelchair Accessible)
- Please note that Chelsea Theatre is undergoing renovations from August 2018 into Spring 2019. During this time Sing to Live will take place in the studio to the right of the main building.
- Contact: Chelsea Theatre, 020 7352 1967 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hosted by Chelsea Theatre and World’s End and Cremorne Community Champions.
Dalgarno Community Centre
- Mondays, 2pm to 4pm
- Thursdays, 6pm to 8pm
- Venue: Dalgarno Community Centre, 1 Webb Close, Dalgarno Way, London W10 5QB (Wheelchair Accessible)
- Contact: Dalgarno Community Centre, 020 8969 6300 or email@example.com
- Hosted by Dalgarno Community Centre and Dalgarno Community Champions
240 Project Latymer Community Church
- Monday 3 September, 2pm to 4pm (taster session)
- From 11 September, this group will meet on Tuesdays from 2pm to 4pm
- Venue: Latymer Community Church (upstairs), 116 Bramley Road, London W10 6SU (Not Wheelchair Accessible)
- Contact: 240 Project, 020 7221 7530 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hosted by 240 Project, drop-in centre for the vulnerable and excluded
St Cuthbert’s Church
- Tuesdays, 6.45pm to 8.45pm
- Venue: St Cuthbert's Church, 50 Philbeach Gardens, London SW5 9EB (Not Wheelchair Accessible)
- Contact: Arts Service, 020 7361 4378 or email@example.com
- Hosted by St Cuthbert’s Church, this group focuses on repertoire to challenge those with some previous singing experience
St Mary’s The Bolton
- Wednesdays 12.30 – 2.30pm
- Venue: St Mary’s The Boltons, Kensington, SW10 9TB
- Contact;T: 020 7631 3844 E: Arts@rbkc.gov.uk
Workshop series @ St Cuthbert’s Centre August 2019
For new participants and St Cuthbert’s Centre service users
- Friday 16 August, 3 – 4pm
- Wednesday 21 August, 3-4pm
- Wednesday 28 August, 3-4pm
Location: 51, Philbeach Gardens, SW5 9EB
Contact: Tina Hilaris
T: 020 7835 1389
Taster sessions across all venues
Week beginning Monday 2 September
T: 020 7361 3844
Winter Concert 2019
Date: Sunday 1 December 2019
Location: The Tabernacle, 32-34 Powis Square, W11 2AY
Sing to Live, Live to Sing groups enjoy performing to the public at both smaller community and large-scale events. If you would like to invite Sing to Live, Live to Sing to perform at your event or venue, please contact Miranda MacFarlane in the Arts Service on the contact details below.
Watch short films showing Sing to Live, Live to Sing in action
This short film introduces the Sing to Live, Live to Sing programme and shares experiences from residents taking part. The film was shot during a performance at the Victoria & Albert Museum in December 2015.
This short film features singers performing together at Age UK’s Health Fair at Kensington Town Hall in October 2015, and features stories from participants about the health and well-being benefits they have experienced.
This short film was commissioned by Chelsea Theatre, and features their Sing to Live, Live to Sing groups performing at a community health and well-being event, with invited audience taking part in an interactive Sing to Live, Live to Sing workshop.
Sing to Live, Live to Sing is a joint initiative from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Arts Service and Public Health. We gratefully acknowledge the support of the host venues who provide their space in kind for Sing to Live, Live to Sing groups.
For general information about the programme contact Miranda MacFarlane in the Arts Service on 020 7361 3844 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have some new faces – updated information coming soon!
Health monitoring and evaluation of the programme
An important part of the Sing to Live, Live to Sing programme is the evaluation of the health and well-being outcomes for residents. Download a summary evaluation of the pilot project: