Temporary Event Notices


Search Temporary Event Notices

Permission summary

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event which involves licensable activities (sale of alcohol, provision of regulated entertainment or late night refreshment), you must give a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to the local licensing authority  before the event. If the premises where the event is to be held is in an area governed by two or more local authorities notifications must be submitted to each authority.

The notice should be submitted to the licensing authority at least ten working days before the proposed event (excluding the event day and the day the notice is submitted- "Standard Temporary Event Notice").

Late Notices -  Temporary Event Notices can be submitted between five and nine working days prior to the event (excluding the event day and the day the notice is submitted)

A holder of a personal licence is entitled to submit 50 TENs per calendar year (of which up to ten may be “Late Notices”), and a non personal licence holder is entitled to submit five TENs per calendar year (of which two may be “Late Notices”).

If applying by post a copy of the notice must also be given to the Police and the Environmental Health Department (Noise and Nuisance Team),  See our FAQ for further information:

Exempt Entertainment

Certain types of entertainment have now been de-regulated where specific criteria are met and where the entertainment takes place between the hours of 8am and 11pm. For more information please see the Regulated Entertainment Deregulation details below or contact the licensing team for further advice if you are unsure whether you need a licence for entertainment.

For advice on busking please see the Council's Guide to Busking in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea:


Outdoor Events

If your event is being held outdoors prior consent will be required from the Council's Filming and Special Events Office for events which will take place on the public highway, or in any of the borough's parks. A plan of the area where the event will take place should also be submitted with the temporary event notice. See the Fiming and photography in the borough page for further information.


Eligibility Criteria

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and, if you do not hold a personal licence, you can give a maximum of five TENs per year. Personal licence holders can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

TENs can only be given for events where the capacity will not exceed 499 people at any one time. The event can last no more than 168 hours (seven days) with a minimum of 24 hours between your event and the start or finish of another Temporary Event Notice.  Premises are limited to a maximum of 15 TENs per calendar year with an aggregate total of no more than 21 days per year (increased to 20 TENS, with an aggregate of no more than 26 days per year for 2022 and 2023). Events which extend after midnight will count as two days.

The notice must be in a specific format and must contain

  • if alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority
  • a statement relating to certain matters (see below)
  • any other required information

The matters referred to above are:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters


Regulation Summary

See the regulations for temporary event notices for further information


Application evaluation process

The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) in the prescribed format to the local authority at least ten working days before the event (see note above regarding late notices). A fee of £21 is payable with the notice. This fee is to cover the processing of the application and is non-refundable in the event that the notice is withdrawn, invalid or subject to a counter notice.

The local authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day following the day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must at the same time also give notice to the chief officer of the Metropolitan Police Licensing Team, c/o Kensington Police Station, 72 Earl’s Court Road, London W8 6Q email [email protected] and the Noise and Nuisance Team address to Town Hall, Hornton Street, London W8 7NX email [email protected].

A Police Officer or Noise and Nuisance Officer who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine any of the four licensing objectives (prevention of crime and disorder, public safety, the prevention of public nuisance and the protection of children from harm) can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within three working days of receipt of the TEN.

Except where the TEN is late (see note above regarding late notices) the local licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. The authority may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of one or more of the licensing objectives, or in the case of licensed premises, apply one or more conditions  which are stated on the premises licence as it considers appropriate for the promotion of the licensing objectives . A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

Where an objection notice is received to a late TEN the licensing authority will issue a counter notice which means that the event is NOT authorised.

A police chief may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Counter notices may also be issued by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.


Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes – if your application is made online and is unopposed - This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

How to apply

You can apply for a Temporary Event Notice online or by post. 


Last Submission dates for Standard Temporary Event Notices


  • August Bank Holiday (28 August) – 13 August 2023
  • Halloween (31 October) - 16 October 2023
  • Guy Fawkes (5 November) - 22 October 2023
  • St Andrew's Day (30 November) - 15 November 2023
  • Christmas Eve (24 December) - 10 December 2023
  • Christmas Day/Boxing Day (25/26 December) – 10 December 2023
  • New Year's Eve (31 December) – 13 December 2023


  • New Year’s Day (1 January) – 13 December 2023
  • Valentine’s Day (14 February) -  30 January 2024
  • St David’s Day (1 March)  - 15 February 2024
  • St Patrick’s Day (17 March) - 3 March 2024
  • Easter (29 March – 1 April)  - 14 March 2024
  • St George’s Day (23 April)  - 8 April 2024
  • May Bank Holiday (6 May)  - 21 April 2024
  • Spring Bank Holiday (27 May) - 12 May 2024
  • August Bank Holiday (26 August) - 11 August 2024
  • Halloween (31 October) - 16 October 2024
  • Guy Fawkes (5 November) - 21 October 2024
  • St Andrew’s Day (30 November) - 17 November 2024
  • Christmas Eve (24 December ) - 9 December 2024
  • Christmas Day/Boxing Day (25/26 December ) – 10 December 2024
  • New Year’s Eve (31 December) – 12 December 2024

Temporary event notices - Frequently asked Questions

Failed Application Redress

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to Westminster Magistrates' Court, 181 Marylebone Road, London, NW1 5BR  within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days before the day of the planned event. There is no right of appeal against a counter notice to a Late Temporary Event Notice.


Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

The council operates a complaints procedure.  To view the complaints procedure or to make a complaint relating to the service you have received please go to Comments, Complaints and Feedback.


Other Redress

If the Licensing Authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to Westminster Magistrates' Court, 181 Marylebone Road, London, NW1 5BR within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.


Trade Associations

Last updated: 19 December 2023