Seven schools are strolling into the new term in Kensington and Chelsea with car-free streets at drop off and pick up times.
Following the popularity of Colville Primary’s school street, where the road is closed between 8.35pm and 9.05am and 3 – 3.30pm, more schools are closing their roads to encourage cycling, walking and scooting to school. School Streets aim to improve air quality and give parents peace of mind about road safety outside the school gates.
The new school street closures will come into force from Monday 7 September:
- Wetherby Kensington - closure on Wetherby Gardens from 8.15 – 9am and 3 – 4pm
- Knightsbridge School - closure on Pont Street from 7.45 – 9.15am and 3.15 – 4.45pm
- Holy Trinity CofE Primary - closure on Cadogan Gardens from 8.45 – 9.15am and 3 – 3.40pm
- Bevington Primary - closure on Bevington Road from 8.30 – 9.30am and 3 – 4pm
- Chelsea Academy - closure on Burnaby Street and Tetcott Road from 8.05 – 8.45am and 3.35 – 3.50pm
- Hill House School - closure on Hans Street from 8 – 9am and 4 – 6pm
- Vicente Canada Blanch Spanish School - Portobello Road from 8.15 – 8.45am and 3 – 3.30pm
Lead member for Transport Cllr Johnny Thalassites said:
“Keeping streets around schools safe at commuting time is a great way to encourage those who can scoot, walk or cycle to do so. It’s good for local air quality and good for children’s health.
“It’s also helpful for maintaining social distancing and making sure we keep transmission of coronavirus low. If your family can walk to school you could be helping free up more space on public transport and on the roads for those who do not have an active travel option for their journey.”
Earlier this year Colville Primary School Street was made permanent after a six-month trial period. Parents at Colville Primary said the atmosphere outside school has completely transformed, with people stopping for a while to talk, play and say goodbye properly.
Schools can enquire about taking part and having a closure of their own by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more about School Streets.