Designate a neighbourhood forum and neighbourhood area
Neighbourhood forums and areas must be formally designated via applications to us. You can apply to designate a neighbourhood area and neighbourhood forum at the same time.
Designate a neighbourhood forum
Neighbourhood forums are community groups that are designated to take forward neighbourhood planning in areas without parishes.
It’s the Council’s responsibility to agree a neighbourhood forum for the neighbourhood area.
To apply you need:
- the name of your proposed neighbourhood forum
- a map of the neighbourhood area
- contact details of at least one member of the forum that can be made public
- a copy of the organisation’s written constitution
You will also need to provide statement to explain:
- the forum’s purpose is to promote or improve the social, economic and environmental wellbeing of the neighbourhood
- membership is open to anyone who lives or works in the neighbourhood area or is an elected member of the Council
- membership includes a minimum of 21 people who live or work in the neighbourhood area or are an elected member of the Council
- it has a written constitution
Designate a neighbourhood area
A neighbourhood area is the geographical area that a neighbourhood plan or a neighbourhood development order will cover.
If your neighbourhood forum wants to designate a neighbourhood area you will need to apply and providing a:
- map of your proposed neighbourhood area
- statement explaining why the area is appropriate
- statement that you are a designated forum, or capable of being one
Further information is available in Section 61F(5) and 61G(2) TCPA 1990 Act of the regulations