Apply for Council Tax Reduction

The Council Tax Reduction scheme helps people on low income with their Council Tax bills. Please complete the following online form if you are applying for Universal Credit.

Council Tax Reduction cannot be awarded to full-time students, other than disabled students or lone parent students. If you are in either of these groups, please continue with an application for Council Tax Reduction. Otherwise, please apply for a student discount or exemption through our Council Tax pages

Before you start

You will need to know:

  • your National Insurance number and that of your partner
  • what benefits you already receive
  • your income
  • what is in your bank accounts
  • how much your rent is and
  • the details of anyone living in your home.

Apply for Council Tax Reduction

Don’t worry if you don’t have all the information now – you can save the form and come back to it later.


If you are student, you may be entitled to Council Tax Reduction if you are jointly liable for Council Tax with a non-student. Please visit our Student households page for more information or call us on 020 7361 3006.

Last updated: 8 November 2022