Types of waste collected

What will the collection crew take/not take?

You can put out any reasonable amount of routine domestic waste but please remember the Council's waste minimisation and recycling policies. The collection crew will only take 'normal' household waste such as kitchen waste, non-recyclable food packaging, foil and rubbish generated through normal day-to-day life.

They will not take:

  • furniture
  • white goods
  • paint
  • oil
  • carpets
  • wood
  • electrical appliances (unless they can fit in a normal size dustbin or black bag) or builders' waste.

Note: If it is not possible for all your rubbish to be taken from your rubbish storage area, then some may be left until the next collection day.

Garden waste will not be collected by the normal rubbish and recycling collection crew, but by a special garden waste collection crew and you must register in advance for this service. Please see garden waste service for more information.

For residents with furniture and other bulky waste excluding garden waste, please see information on our special collection service. Alternatively, look at our amenity skips information for details of where you can tip the refuse yourself.

Cooking oil can be recycled at Western Riverside Reuse and Recycling Centre at Smugglers Way, Wandsworth, SW18 1JS. Please note it is only available for use by residents arriving in a car, motorbike or on foot (not in a van). 

Unused paint can be recycled at Western Riverside Reuse and Recycling Centre at Smugglers Way, Wandsworth, SW18 1JD. Only paint containers up to five litres capacity will be accepted, and it is preferable if the paint is dry and hardened. Please visit Smugglers Way Household Waste and Recycling Centre website for more information.