Licensing your venue for marriages and civil partnerships

If you are a trustee or proprietor of a venue in Kensington and Chelsea and wish to register your venue as a location where marriages and civil partnerships may take place, there are three easy steps to follow:

  1. Complete the application form below.
  2. Gather the following supporting documents:
  3. Return your completed application form and supporting documents to [email protected] or by post to Kensington and Chelsea Register Office, Chelsea Old Town Hall, London, SW3 5EE.

Once your application is received, an officer will contact you to take payment. Payment can be by card, cheque or BACS. Fees for ceremonies licences are as follows:

Maximum Capacity of All Licensed Rooms of Venue 3 year licence  5 year licence
Up to 150 £1380 £2000
151 - 300 £1530 £2230
301 - 500 £1735 £2550
501 and over £1940 £2800
Renewal £1380 £2000

As part of the licensing procedure, an inspection visit will take place by both the Superintendent Registrar and officer from the council’s Fire, Health and Safety department.  In addition, a public advertisement will appear on this page for three weeks allowing for public objections.

Once an application has been approved, the holder must notify us any change of circumstances including: 

  • layout of the premises
  • use of the premises
  • name or full postal address of the premises
  • description of the room or rooms in which the proceedings are to take place
  • name or address of the holder of the approval and
  • name, address or qualification of the responsible person.

Approval of additional rooms is treated as a new application. 

This application form should also be used if you are the trustee or proprietor of a religious building licensed for marriages and wish to license it for civil partnerships. 

Religious marriages and civil partnerships

If you represent a religious building and would like to: license it for worship; license it for opposite and / or same sex marriages, or disuse the building as a religious venue, please see the links below for full information. The completed forms should be sent to us at [email protected] 

Last updated: 15 December 2021