Rateable values and appeals

Rateable Values and Check, Challenge and Appeal

The rateable values of all business and non-domestic properties are assessed by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) which is an agency of Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs.

You can find out more about rateable values, property descriptions and other valuation information on the Gov.uk website.
From 1 April 2017 there is a new business rate appeal process in England known as check, challenge and appeal. The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) deals with checks and challenges, while the independent Valuation Tribunal for England handles appeals.

You can find out more information about the new appeal process.

You may also contact the VOA’s Check and Challenge Service:

  • By telephone:  03000 501 501
  • In writing: Check & Challenge Service. PO Box1827. Shirley, SO15 9HH

Advice on the valuation of your property

You may seek advice from the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). The VOA has provided the following information to assist with the questions, queries and requests they receive most frequently: 

Where can I find more information about business rates and rateable values? 
How do I find my rateable value and how has it been worked out?
How can I ask to have my property details updated?
Why is my rateable value different from my rent?

    The VOA look at many rents in an area before deciding on the right rateable value for each property.
Rents can vary between properties in an area, even if the properties are similar and the rents are agreed at the same time. This is because landlords and tenants often have different views on the rental value of a property and sometimes there are special lease terms that can affect the rent paid. 

More information can be found on the Gov.uk website. 

How can I find out the rent/trade details held for my property?

    The VOA does not publish this information online, as that would breach the Data Protection Act. 
Please call 03000 501 501 to request the details.

My business has closed and I would like the property taken out of the rating list. 

   The VOA doesn't remove properties from the rating list just because the business has closed.

Find out more information about rates on the Gov.uk. 

My property is in poor repair.
I would like to know more about zoning. 

The VOA uses zoning to measure retail premises. This is a standard method of measuring retail premises for valuation purposes. 

Further information can be found on the Gov.uk website.  

I think my property  measurements are wrong.
I want to appeal / challenge my 2017 rateable value.
I want to appeal / challenge my 2010 rateable value.  
I want to correct inaccuracies in my property address and or post code. 

   If the address details listed on  do not match the used address, you can submit a request to amend it online.  

Should I be paying business rates if my business is run from home?

    You don’t usually have to pay business rates for home-based businesses if you:

  • use a small part of your home for your business, e.g. you use a bedroom as an office
  • sell goods by post.

Further information can be found on the Gov.uk website. 

You may choose to employ a rating adviser. Members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV) are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct.

You can find details of these organisations here:

Before employing a rating adviser, and particularly before employing one who is not a member of one of these bodies, you should satisfy yourself that he or she has the necessary knowledge or expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance.  

Last updated: 29 November 2019