Food business registration

Food business registration

Who needs to register?

All food business establishments need to be registered if you want to carry out any food operations except establishments which need to be approved under Regulation (EC) 853/2004, for example Food Manufacturers.

Registration is free.

Food operations include:

  • selling food
  • cooking food
  • storing or handling food
  • preparing food
  • distributing food

Food businesses can include (this list is not exhaustive):

  • Restaurants
  • Cafés
  • Bars
  • Home caterers
  • Market stalls
  • Schools
  • Nurseries
  • Chemists

Food can include (this list is not exhaustive):

  • Drinks
  • Snacks
  • Confectionery
  • Baby milk
  • Chocolate bars
  • Wrapped and sealed food 

Food business operator means the natural or legal persons responsible for ensuring that the requirements of food law are met within the food business under their control.

Establishment means any unit of a food business.

How to register

Apply online 

You can also register by post. Complete the application form and return it to:

Directorate of Environmental Health
The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
W8 6PW

Your premises will be inspected by an environmental health officer to ensure that your business complies with current Food Hygiene and Food Safety Regulations.

If your food business changes

Once you have registered your business you need to tell us if:

  • there is a change of proprietor - the owner will need to complete an application form
  • the nature of the business changes
  • there is a change the address of a moveable premises

Last updated: 29 November 2019